Pod Your Reef

I know, but ... anybody have a clue?

TheNorthernLight

TheNorthernLight

Hello,

I have a two fold problem, one I have cyanobacteria growing in my main tank, that's because I only currently have tap water filter (brita type), but I'm buying a RO/DI filter tomorrow.

plus I'm going to replace all my hoses (they are full of diatom algae.). The real question that I have is within my sump. my sump get's no light, yet I have a weird algae/fungus/sponge ? growing all over the inside of my sump. it doesn't seem to make it up to my main tank. However, the description of the USO(Unidentified Sea Object), as follows:

main body looks almost like a beehive turned sideways, with a "cup" shaped appendage at the pointy end, that has a hollow "tube" that goes back into the main body of the USO. The entire body looks like grey/beige silica hair, and has a distinct fungus type look. Nothing seems to live inside it, so I don't know what the holes are from, but as mentioned, they only grow in my sump and what seems to be in a no light situation. They also grow to about the size of a dime, both

in diameter and length. I've attached a basic MSPaint image of USO.

the square is approx. the color of the USO.

Anybody have a clue?!?

Thanks in advance,

Spy.

qtip sponge.

to get rid of cyano, do massive water changes with GOOD water and make sure that you have decent flow in the tank. stop overfeeding(feed once a day...tops!) and just make sure that you don't use any of those anti-cyano chemical products.

hth.

TheNorthernLight

Thanks Yoshiod9,

quick responce! :)

Does anyone know the scientific name of Q-Tip sponge? I want to

know if it is harmful or not, and what eats it? cuz, I might

make myself a new refugium, and I want to know if this stuff is

helpfull!

Thanks again!,

Spy.

EtOH_is_good

sponges are filter feeders and not dangerous. some reef fish will eat sponges, but have not read of ppl trying to get rid of qtips that way. ppl generally just leave them alone.

Archived