Cultivated Reef

People with cheato in the back...

Chronicles

Do you get this film on the top of the water? I ran some floss through the water to pick it up and it's all green. I also then stuck a floss pad in the back above the water return line to catch some, and it's now all green. This is normal? Surface scum is killing my main display, wondering if this has anything to do with it. :x

My cycle was over 2 days after it started. I used LR from my tank that's been up over 3 years. Most my "cycle" saw was 0.5mg/L of ammonia since I used more fresh sand then live.

DitchPlains

In my Millenium 1000 HOB on my Via Aqua, no surface scum from it, but I do get Cyanobacteria growing on my chaeto, go figure thought that was the purpose to compete with cyano...lol good luck you need mre agigtation of surface area:)

Originally posted by Chronicles

My cycle was over 2 days after it started. I used LR from my tank that's been up over 3 years. Most my "cycle" saw was 0.5mg/L of ammonia since I used more fresh sand then live.

ok just wondering (you should update your sig you know:P):)

sir winston mulligan

i think that all macro goes sexual if it doesnt have 24/7 light..do you have a fuge light? if you dont it might be going sexual..you can keep it from going sexual by pruning it religiously(thats if its on the day/night schedule(sp?) ..if im wrong please someone correct me, i dont want to give out false info

cat

chaeto do not go sexual, that's why people have them and love them; more than other macro.

You need to notch some teeth to create an overflow, or simply do the cassette mod, or direct more flow toward the surface, or place a small PH in the first chamber. There are many ways to solve your problem.

Best way to get rid of it w/o doing any mods is to have your water level just below the intake, then stick 1 of the black sponges at the intake and buy some of the cheap filter cotton from petco and cover half off your sponge. It will clear up most of your surface scum. I replace the cotton 1x/wk and wash out that sponge weekly. A huge bag lasts like a year and its only $4. I use about a 3"x4" piece every time

Right now in chamber one I have 1 stock sponge, onto of that is bonded polly filter, then on that is a felt type floss for micro filtering. I put it in last night and already it's darkgreen/brown. I know all about the skimmer mods, just kinda odd that it's all green unlike normal scum.

just normal scum (looks like phytoplankton - tastey treats for many microscopic critters in your tank) - lower your water level so that the surface breaks and goes through the overflow grate (or cut the slits to go higher) - it's trapped on the surface now and has nowhere to go.

Just do the cassette case mod. (and drop the volume of water in your tank a bit as you are overfull) That will effectivley skim the top.

If you have a sponge in the back it will catch the crud. If you do not have a sponge, just put a couple folds of filter pad behind the grate in the first box. Works like a champ

This will force a stable level in the display and skim the top off. The surface will stay crystal clear. I just used my hotglue gun during a water change to hold mine. IT will stay in place with nothing at all provided the pump is on.

NOTE: the additional power head in his photo is not required.

attachment.php?s=&postid=445619

Archived