Pod Your Reef

Little starfish wants to be IDed.

voodoo1313

It is one of those horrible little predator stars called a Asterina. They are likely to eat coral tissue:o. Some species don't much most do. The reproduce very quickly and they are best removed when you see them. They can be a HUGE PAIN IN THE A$$ if you don't catch them quick.

You can use Harliquin shrimp as a method of control for them as Harliquin's eat starfish as their main diet:D.

You are probably safe enough in a nano to just remove them as you see them. Check around coral bases too for more.

Cameron

Guest AbSoluTc

I disagree with the previous posts. Unless you can provide a clearer picture, there is no certainty as to what type of star it is.

The best you can do now - keep an eye on your livestock.

I have 20 or so of a "similar" type of star for a year. Never had a problem. I also have 30 or so bi valves in my tank. Still there since day 1 :) Havent lost any corals either.

They are mostly detrivores. They come out when the tank is being fed and catch any leftovers. They comb the rocks for meals as well.

Good luck.

i have a star just like that but mine has a missing leg like it got cut off. it would always be on my green star polyp rock and for some reason the green star polyps started dying while everything else in the tank was thriving. hmm i think i may have figured out why. it hasnt seemed to bother anything else since though.

WELL THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING TO HAVE IN YOUR TANK, THEY A POLYP EATING LITTLE VERMON! HERE IS A LINK WITH SOME MORE INFO http://www.garf.org/ HOPE IT HELPS. i HAD THEM IN MY NANO AND MY 100GL AN PULLED THEM OUT AS SOON AS i SEEN THEM AND iD THEM, DEFFINATLY LIKE TO EAT POLYPS OF SPS OR GSP..... OH JUST TYPE IN STARFISH IN THE SEARCH AREA OF THE GARF WEBSITE WILL BRING UP PIC AN INFO

Archived