SaltCritters.com

Can star regen from leg ? Is it safe?

drparker

I just put some GSP in and found this think moving on it. It's about 1.2 inches. I think it's a star's leg that is regenerating its body. Is that possible? Is there any reef safe stars, they're all bad right?

Here's the link to my gallery with pics of top and bottom. Another is close-up of what makes me think it's a star.

My Gallery

I've got it in a bucket and need to know if I should put it in the tank before it dies.

Thanks for looking,

Drew

The starfish only need 1/5 of its central disc to regenerate its entire body. There are plenty of reef safe starfish, but I can't tell what he is.

I think it's a linkia multiflora. So I put back in and will watch it. If it's linkia multiflora it will probably grow to be to big for my Nano. Oh well just guess I need to get another tanks for it, ok dear B)

Drew

You actually have two different stars there. One is the leg of a star, which you Id'd as Linkia Multiflora, the other is a small Asternia starfish. I don't know if the Linckia will regenerate or not. I would take the Asternia off the leg though.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Archived