Coral Vue Hydros

Zoo eating nudis!!

ClarkiiClown

ClarkiiClown

Ok a few months ago I spotted a zoo eating nudi and got rid of him. Today I found another which would exlpain why some of my zoos have been in decline.

Is there any good method to getting rid of them??? Im sure there must be more.

ndfootball5489

I heard if you do a fresh water dip on them for like 5 minutes it will kill them. You have to have a heater and a power head in the bucket though. But get moer info from taking my advice, because i am not 100% on that and i don't want to be the cause of your dead zoo's.

per muchoreef at rc.com

fw dip(temp and ph acclimated) for 5-10 minutes with 30-40 drops of lugols per gallon and whatever the instructions say for flatworm exit if you want to use that at the same time. make sure the temp stays the same and that when you finish the dip you swish the zoos around vigorously to make any dead/dying nudis fall off. also, check for sundial snails and sea spiders.

hth.

ClarkiiClown

No sundials, no spiders. I have looked. I dont see any eggs. I have only seen 2 nudis in my tank. One was tiny and the second one was about twice as big at about 1/4" long. Even today all of my zoos are open.

I will keep a watchful eye.......

Pick off nudis as you find them. Freshwater dip it, swish it around, pick eggs off. Eggs look like little white swirls. I did exactly that and haven't seen any zoo eating nudis in a while now.

RN

I might advise picking be done with tweazers. You are talking about an organism that is going to be chocked full of toxin and nemotocyst. (It could actually lead to your death) You could smash one under your finger and end up in the hospital in pretty short order.

Zoa's really should always be handled with gloves on and eye protection if you are working with them for mounting etc.

First, it's NEMATOCYSTS, not nemotacysts, and no, nudibranchs do not have nematocysts. It is very likely that thier specific diet inherently incorperates toxin build up. Any release of a toxin in close proximity may be absorbed through an osmosis reaction. As to how to rid them from your tank...F/W dips, and if you see them, don't directly come in to physical contact, don't squish 'em, and as far as chemical control, I don't know.

i have crabs

How do you know which nudis eat zoas and which ones dont? I have seen nudis in my tank, but cant really tell if they are eating my zoas or not.

Originally posted by i have crabs

How do you know which nudis eat zoas and which ones dont?  I have seen nudis in my tank, but cant really tell if they are eating my zoas or not.

If your zoos are closed up and start to look really rough, they're being eaten. My beautiful yellow ones are still recovering from when they were attacked and it has been a while.

RN

Archived