Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dealing with Red Hair Algae/Red Slime/Red colored Cyano. My Success.

mattdog

Hey Guys,

If you recall, about a week ago I posted a thread entitled "Disaster." Well, one week later, my attitude has totally been changed. While losing my corals and almost my damsel was a disaster, the disaster of having to restart my tank is no more.

I wish I had a camera so I could've taken some pictures of the algae, slime or bacteria that I had. I don't have a working camera right now so a description will have to suffice. This stuff was maroonish in color, it coated everything in the tank that didn't move, it trapped bubbles, it was sticky, stringy, stinky. Hopefully that's a good enough description.

My method of eradication was systematic. The first thing I did was siphon off as much of the crap as I could (rocks and sand), the second thing was to take an unused toothbrush, pluck a 1/4" diameter of bristles out of it, drill a 1/4" hole through the toothbrush and then insert an airline tube in the hole. Then I started a siphon and scrubbed all the rocks the best that I could. I don't use a skimmer, so to catch all of the crap, I ran my HOB with some carbon. Finally, last night I scrubbed each rock in a separate bucket until there was very little buildup on each one. All of these methods took most of the buildup off but there is still the possibility of it growing back. I left my lights on for 36 hrs straight. All the remaining buildup appears to be dead or dying to me. It's been 2 days now and no regrowth so far.

I hope maybe that this has helped somebody get rid of this problem. Please give me your comments and opinions on this matter.

Oh yeah, the little yellow-tailed damsel is healing very quickly from his encounter with that damned mantis!

Thanks,

Matt

I'm glad your methods worked for you, but I would have to disagree with your last method of leaving the lights on. Lights actually promote algea growth. It would have been better to keep the lights off, or at least cut down on your light times. I also would have done a couple water changes over the course of the week. At least it is no longer a major problem for your, but I would recommend that your go with the water change soon.

Ron

I've taken my rock out and scrubbed it - sadly the alage came back. It worked the second time when I left the rock in covered buckets for a while. Good luck

The deal with the intensified lighting was to burn the algae out (which it did). The remaining algae is now bleached and is falling off the rocks.

mattdog  = Bill Ny, the Science guy ?

.....the second thing was to take an unused toothbrush, pluck a 1/4" diameter of bristles out of it, drill a 1/4" hole through the toothbrush and then insert an airline tube in the hole.  Then I started a siphon and scrubbed all the rocks...  

Mc FU&^KING GUYVER ! :D

cool idea... ya ever make neuclear reactor devices out of house hold items? HAHAHA ! :woot:

I'm making me onea dem ! but im hooking it up to a mini PH in a bucket to get more suction flow.

I left my lights on for 36 hrs straight.  All the remaining buildup appears to be dead or dying to me.  It's been 2 days now and no regrowth so far.

I do the same at times. Your analysis is correct.

you COULD profit from a "borrowed" skimmer for a week or 2. Im almost posetive Phosphates produced by bacterial action fueled your outbreak. if it returns, Try NO-CYA-NO from Fishvet.

THAT will get rid if it fer sure.

I have a problem with it recently. It seems to be going away. I siphon it off during waterchanges. Seems to grow back slower now that I increased the water flow by cranking up the powerhead.

I shouldn't get credit for the toothbrush thing. I stole the idea from someone's DIY page. is the no-cya-no invert safe? I might have to try that.

Thanks,

Matt

there is also a product called red slime remover that works wonders. it will all be gone in a day with that stuff. no need to remove any of the rocks. and its invert safe.

The Red slime remover is bassicaly just Kanocyn BUT witht he Phosphate Phospho-orthic group not attached like the perscription we (humans) take fer bacterial infections.

hence why it is is $ 15.00 a dose. ;) "eiets specieal" LOL !

Archived