Innovative Marine Aquariums

Adding shells to my nano?

chvynva916

I have been considering throwing in a bunch of small shells into my nano. I had hoped it might maintain my alk, and also give my hermits a choice of house change if they want. What do you guys think?

but understand that a few snail//hermit shells aren't really gonna buffer your tank, no matter how small the tank is. i would definately use some arag sand to help with that. make sure the shells are clean (no carcasses) and rinse em off well, should be fine.

The shells won't do anything at all really. They will look good though. Your best bet like mentioned is some aragonite sand or just some good buffers.

Cameron

your hermits should love em though! i took a ton of empty shells out recently because they were literring the sand. i used to always see the hermits cleaning them out, switching, etc.

harbingerofthefish

If you have hermits, drop in some shells.

I got few shells when I got my 2 hermits. But I grabbed out of the rubble tank. **SIDE NOTE** can you believe that one LFS I go to actually sells marble sized pieces of rock at the same price as big hunks? I've actually found the right guy to talk to to finagle scoops. anyways... I picked up spagehtti worms, feather dusters, bristles, pods, all from "free" shells. Any little thing to add diversity right?

oh and speaking of worms(ya'll wern't but I was). Since the first bristle I saw kiel over and die in my tank, I thought they all just died when they were inadvertantly added. Well last night I found a 1"er and this frickin' 1/4" wide 3-4" long mama crawlin around.

Archived