Cultivated Reef

Current generated by powerhead

GobyMan

How much current should I be giving to green star polyps and galaxea?  It seems I have read they both like "medium" current, but what would constitute medium current?

Thanks

NaNO ReeFiN

For me, medium current would be like blades of grass slowly being blown in the wind... That's how the GSP IMO should look like, blades of grass just blowin' in the wind... :)

(Edited by NaNO ReeFiN at 5:33 pm on July 3, 2002)

a linear flow of about one foot per three seconds?  sounds technical enough to me.   :confused:

a random turbulent flow is better than a true linear flow like a river.  you can gauge flow speeds and direction using bubbles.  i've used b-ionic's part #1 mix to examine direction kind of like a wind tunnel effect.  it immediately clouds and you can very accurately view the underwater flows.  your livestock may not appreciate this so don't do it very often. (don't forget to add the #2 mix)

once you learn the flows and speed you can gauge it to your animals.  3 sec./ft isn't too fast you sometimes may need a surge.

(Edited by tinyreef at 8:32 pm on July 3, 2002)

I realize random flows and "bursts" of water are better than a true linear flow, but how can this be accomplished in a nano?  To clarify, I have a 5 1/2 gallon tank with no filtration (xcept for live rock and sand) so I use the powerhead I have in there for current and surface agitation.  

sorry, just being specific.  how about pointing the powerhead behind the rock so that it flows thru the various nooks and crannies?  i'm don't know how it looks so i'm grasping.

i've never had luck with the rotating ones but others swear by them.

No, I wasn't ripping ya, just wanted to offer up a litte more info for people to go on.  I was thinking of aiming the flow down onto the rocks, but with no other filters/movement, the surface wouldn't be broken up and I thought that was pretty important for gas exchange, etc....I should probably leave it alone, I keep changing the flow rate every day to try and get the star polyps to "wave" without having the galaxea blown all about....

how about hagen's surface skimmer on a aquaclear mini for breaking the surface tension?  i'm not sure if they're compatible size-wise though.  i just got my mini recently.

btw, you can never just leave well enough alone.  "once i think i'm out they pull me back in" - Michael Corleone

NaNO ReeFiN

Use two powerheads pointed directly at each other from opposite sides, this should provide unnatural currents moving around the nano instead of the straight flow that one powerhead would produce.

vanillabox

I agree with Toy, the Power sweeps are great for making the water current go all over the place.  I clean mine once a week, same time as water changes for my office tank.

I have my pink star polpys with just the similar amount of water flow Nano Reefin mentioned in his first reply.

They seem to open up the greatest amount set about there too.

Archived