Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pictures what should I do?

chodaboy

hey here's pictures of my tank and algae problems? what should i do about this ****ing green rock. Should I toss it or get a new one with good stuff on it. I bought the other rock live 2-3 weeks ago, it used to really be purple. I think it's dieing know because of that other rock. Should i take out the other rock and scrub the hell out of it? There are some good stuff goin on i got little critters runnin around all over the rocks. Eventually i want to get some zoos and shrooms, but first i wanna get my coraline feelin' good.

I scrubbed the rock before with a tooth brush but that ###### doesnt come off, or comes off a little bit then grows back. Please give some advice i know i'm a retard. hehe

:)

the rock use to be a lot more purple know the coraline seems to be dieng and turning freakin' wack colors! please help don't want all this good coraline to die!!

notice that hermits shell in last pic, it's like pastel green, is this some kind of coraline, is it good. It's started showing up in the last week.

Hey Choda,

Is that background painted on? If it isn't, what are you using? Looks nice....

I have a sheet of blue laminate that I taped to the back of my tank but because it isn't pressed against the tank well, the bright colors don't show through the back of my tank very well.

no it came with the setup. It's really thick blue acrylic type plastic kind of stuff. It sure buts green to contrast!

but naught long ago i viewed someones backdrop on the board that was painted on and you could hardly tell looked like mine.

Could be green coralline algae. Do a scratch test and see if the green stuff is soft or if it's crusty. In the past I have had some tonga branch covered in nice green, but the pink and purple eventually grew over most of it.

I wouldn't worry about it, my tank did the same thing, some of the rock started turning green during the first couple weeks, but I think it was just coraline, but eventually purple and reds started to take over, and are still expanding as I still have green. Granted none of my rocks turned as solid green as yours has, but it looks like the same thing. Take a look at the pics on my web page, under journal, and you can see what it looked like before I added corals, it was pretty green, and in the last month it has the purple starting to grow in.

Oh yeah, to help with your question. My tank also had some of the same stuff as far as I can tell. Mine has also been grown over in most places by purple and reds and I think it is just green coralline.

as far as the purple coralline dying, i'd do what hubu said and check your ca/alk levels. dosing b-ionic is good, but it can be difficult sometimes to maintain the balance and to not spike one or the other. another thing is that your lighting is most likely different from the lighting the rock was under when you bought it, so there will be some die-off and regrowing of the coralline. i have some tonga rock that i got about four months ago and it's just now really starting to regain some color. the color will be different (not in a bad way) when it comes back.

hth

Archived