Cultivated Reef

Yellow Tang

Signmom99

I recently added a yellow tang to my 29g. But I have to admit, I did not do a lot of homework on the tangs first. I know the powder blue etc are difficult to keep, but this little guy kept calling to me. Can anyone tell me what the requirements for yellow tangs are and how I can assure he makes it and stays healthy. He looks good, eats good, swims alot and gets along with the yellow damsel and tomato clown. That is currently all that is in the tank other than the cleaner shrimp & snails.

Oh, also, at night when the lights are off I seem to have this infestation of shell-less snails or slug like things in there. They are all over the glass and look like blobs with antenna. Can anyone tell me what these are?

I seems to have bubble algae galore. Although it is very pretty I would like to have a little less. Is there anything that feeds on this algae?

Thank you for all your input and help.

The yellow tang is a pretty hardy fish. I assume you bought the smallest one you could find. The only thing I can recommend at this point is think about a bigger tank in about 6 months. When full grown he will be way to big for that tank.

Thanks tomatoreef. I'm all over that. Have been looking. Problem now is that my corals are growing so tremendously that I am seriously trying to convince my husband to let me invest in a 55g. This hobby is seriously addictive. Have my old 12g cycling as we speak!

I tried an emerald crab back when I first set up my first nano, but had to give him up since it seemed that he ate the coraline algae also. He scratched the heck out of my rock.

Will give him another try though.

Thanks

The need to go big.. ah yes.. one of the major problems in nano reefing.. :D I'm trying to convince my parents that we need a nice 55 gal. tank in the living room.. :happy:

Geez, I guess I am doing this backwards, I started bigger and am going small. I guess that's because all 3 of my tanks are in the living room and I am running out of space. The next going bigger for me is a bigger livng room.:D

Not to be rude, but I do not think you guys should go with a 55 gallon. Next time you see one look at the space to stack up your LR...NONE! I suggest either a 40 gallon Breeder, a 58 Breeder, a 65 Breeder, or a Reg 75 Gallon Tank. I am going with a 75 gallon although I first thought of a 55.:)

The "shell-less" snails are probably stomatella. Do they have two pretty longe, pretty active antanae out in front? Are they pretty quick moving? Then that whould be them. They do have a shell, it just doesn't cover the whole foot or allow for retraction. They have a "cap-like" shell on the back. They are good little detritus algae eaters and they will reproduce pretty quickly. If you don't like them just about any nocturnal shrimp will eat them like candy. I got some free from my LFS but my Lysmata wurdemani ate them all within a few days (I would see him at night carrying the shells around getting every last bit out of it.

The reason behind the 50/55 gallon tank is primarily cost and space. The cost of the 50/55 gallon tanks here in the valley (calif) is very reasonable and easy to come by. The cost of the others is considerably higher. And considering how many tanks I have had over the last 20+ years, cost is an important factor. Also, the equipment I have for a 55 is adequate. Besides, I really don't want a major set up like some of the ones I see posted on the net. They are incredible, however, they require basements and rooms and lots of equipment and things I just can't afford with 2 kids in college. Anyway, enough of my wining.

Another option I am kicking around is having a tank made custom. I can order the glass cut to size (been the acrylic route and never again) then put the tank together myself. Anyone have any experience with that?

Looking for feedback from whoever has ideas. And Dustin, you're not being rude by stating your opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing under a 60 really for a Yellow tang. Or anything 50 gallons plus thats more than a foot deep so your fish doesn't hurt his nose turning around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree with SoS and I'll take it one step farther - nothing less than 75 gallons when it's full grown. In the wild, tangs swim and swim and swim for miles, if we're gonna keep them in our pretty little boxes we should at least give them some room to roam!

Signmom99, I know its a really beautiful fish, but next time try to do research research research before purchasing - it will be better for all in the long run.

Also, make sure to get him some nori from an asian food store (the seaweed stuff they wrap sushi in) its much cheaper than the Seaweed Selects they sell at LFS, and just as yummy and nutritious!

Happy Reefin'

Karin :)

Archived