ReefCleaners.org

Yellow Tang Help

Signmom99

I recently added a small yellow tang to my 29g tank. He appears perfectly healthy, no signs of ich, eats good, swims alot etc. However he does at times quickly flick himself on the rocks as he goes past. I see no parasites or any signs of disease. Any clues? Also, anyone who has or has had these fish, are they difficult and are there any tricks for keeping them.

Thanks for the input.

• 3 weeks later...

Iwould agree, its a sign of stress which could indicate the start of ich. Tangs,even a small one, as you should know should NEVER be kept in a tank under 4' long since they require a lot of swimming room. I would suggest you return him ASAP.

Yes, and we have all heard horror stories about animals kept under other inhumane conditions too, It isn't humane to keep a fish like a tang in a tank that small. Even though it would be possible to keep a St. Bernard alive in a closet, it doesn't make it right. Perhaps your friend just got lucky with a tang that is mellower and didn't stress as easily.

now that the flame/tang police is out of the way.....

Can you see any visable spots, lost scales, reddened areas?

is its gill reps excessively fast? it is possible that it may have worms, or trophants in the gill meningies.

Suggestion..... Pick up a Lysamatia Amb. Cleaner shrimp. or try

soaking foods in a garlic oil extract. (Check a natural foods or oriental/Paki shop) Coral Vital by Marc weis, it has an enzyme in it that interfers with the adheasion of paracites to the fish muchus coat. Another reef safe biodegradeable solution ; Rid-Ich by Fish Vet.

It could just be "Stress Ich" and will fade shortly after the tang becomes acustom to the tank. Contrary to the previous posters,

I believe a tang (when small and not over crowded with many other fish in a 29 gal will live just fine.) It all depends on the individual tang. If it shows longterm signs of captive stress ie: Loss of fins, color, wasting, or ceases eating, get it out.

HTH.

Archived