Innovative Marine Aquariums

What Type Of Bulbs To Buy??????

wnuk

I have had my 20G HIGH going for almost 2 months now and I am loving every minute of it.

I got areal steal of a deal on a custom sealife 2 X 65W PC hood.

$80US and I am now currently deciding on what type of bulbs to get.

Do I go with 1 X 10000K and 1 X ACTINIC???

Or

1 X 8700K and 1 X ACTINIC

OR

2 X 10000K

I am lost, I am having a devil of a time finding these bulbs in Canada and am conisidering ordering from the US.

They are the :: configuration not the ....

Any help would be greatly apprciated.

I still have a 15W NO light fixture as well as 1 X 55W PC retro kit that I am currently using. So there is lots of possibilities for possible light configurations.

Cheers!

1 - 10,000 k and 1 - 03 Actinic. That is a good combo. The others will either be too white or yellow.

Stick with this basic combo for your first set of bulbs and if you'd like some subtle color changes you can modify your combo at yor first bulbs swap.

Cameron

Hi WNUK

Yes it is difficult trying to get the bulbs in Canada.

you have a couple of options.

1. Look at Hellolights (board sponser) and check out the bulb/s you like ie: color/size/wattage etc and copy down the Code # for the item #/s.

then E-Mail AJ (owner) at aj@aquariumpros.ca and give him the item #/s you want along with your Postal code and he will get back to you with a "delivered" price in Can $'s on said items.

2. You may also want to check out J&L Aquatics -

http://www.jlaquatics.com/ they will beat any listed (can) on line price. So check out AJ's then give J&L's a call. A $ is a $.

As for color,thats peronnal choice. Some like a white look while others like a bluish look.

HTH.

leslr.

140 US for the 2 bulbs and the hood as well.

I feel like I got a great deal.

The bulbs are on seperate ballasts so I can have dawn/dusk as well as a built in fan,

Hey wnuk

Check and see if its being delivered by UPS, if it is I think they (UPS)charge you an additional +$30can for handling charges for bringing it accross the border. Free Trade ,right.

leslr.

That is $140 very well spent. You will be very happy with the hood and the color is a good one too. I think you'll probably like the bulb mix and for future reference...

a> If you'd to get more white go with this: 1 - Smartlight (1/2 blue and 1/2 10k), and 1 - 10k

b> If you want more blue go with this: 1 - 10k and 1 - Smartlight.

Soooo option a would leave you with 75% white and $25% blue while option b is giving you 75% blue and 25% white. Option B is unlikely but ou never know. You'll be likely to stick with the current 50% blue and 50% white combo one you see how it looks...

Cameron

I think you'll be happy with 1 x 10K and 1 x true Actinic 03. That will give you the option of two timers - one for the actinic and one for the white.

Very nice deal you got there on the CSL, mate.

Archived