ReefCleaners.org

Flow Rates

LSUtiger

Howdy. I'm looking to remove a pump from my 7G Bow. Right now I have 2 mini-jet 404's. One feeds the HOB Aquafuge, and one for circulation.

What I'd like to do is upgrade to a 606 mini-jet (or whatever the number is) and use a Tee fitting. I will connect a spray bar to the branch on the tee and connect the other end of the tee fitting to the aquafuge inlet. The aquafuge inlet has a valve that I can use to regulate flow.

My question is, will this give me enough circulation in the tank as well as enough flow to the fuge? What kind of flow rate should I have to the aquafuge where I will be keeping some plants for nutrient export and some LR and of course plenty of bugs hopefully. I'm just looking for a go-by number for the fuge flow.

The mini-jet has a max flow of 153 GPM I believe. I haven't looked at the curve yet. I couldn't find one on the net with my first search.

Thanks for any replies.

Mark

Honestly, I'd say if the tank is running well with the 2 pumps than I'd leave it because I don't think a single 606 will do both for you. It will reduce flow in both the tank and fuge and depending on what your keeping in the tank that may be bad.

I'd maybe consider a Rio800 to do this. It will do better than a 606.

Cameron

i agree with physh. the rio800 HP is a better choice if you want to unify the system onto a single ph. just watch how you balance the flows off the tee.

however, if you run the system with hi-alk/hi-ca then expect problems with the rio. i've gone thru 3 rio800's so far. but they're very good while they work. X) c'mon, they're cheep!

I try to clean my every month and have had some for over 2 years so far without problems. You may want to try this to keep them longer but they are cheap:)

Cameron

thanks for the replies. How big (dimensions) is the rio 800. Also, how loud is it? The rio that came with the aquafuge is increadibly noisy especially compared to the mini-jets which I have to strain t hear. There is nothing in my tank yet except LR and sand. I am cycling the tank now, so I wouldn't be disrupting anything in the tank just yet if I made a change.

Mark

Archived