Innovative Marine Aquariums

tank attracts flies

chufa

The other day I opened the front door to let some people in, and a housefly came in. Went straight to the tank. I kept waving it off, but it insisted on the tank's lid. Over and over. I could not slap it, since the stupid eclipse stand is wobbly and didn't want to disturb it. Nor I could spray. Finally, I killed the fly.

A few days later, the same thing. And then, same thing over, but with several flies. This time I let the flies be, and they stayed in the tank's lid for days without moving. Finally, I killed them, as they became sluggish. There were no other flies anywhere else.

What could be so attractive for a fly in the tank's lid? Is it the salt creep? The warmth? It's like my tank is a piece of crap, or what? Sorry about the strange post, I thought it was curious.

maybe they're attracted to the actinic light. you know like those fly zappers that have a blue bulb incased by an electrified cage.

ahh, good point, haven't thought of that! But, they tend to stay on top of the tank, over the black lid, where light isn't visible for them. Strange...

Archived