inTank Media Baskets

introducing new perc

Auryn

ok so

my tank raised false percula has been happy in the tank (12gl) by himself for about 3+ weeks now

he originally had a fellow perc but that guy died (stock problem from the supplier)

anyway

they finally have good stock of tank raised false percs at the lfs and I was thinking of getting him a tank mate to replace his old one

I've been reading that they can get pretty territorial

so my plan was to bag the existing guy- rearrange the tank around

float the 2 percs together and acclimate and reacclimate them together

I am hoping the existing guy (still unnamed) will feel like he doesnt have his old territory so there wont be any outward aggression

what do you guys think?

from reading more threads it seems that his behavior of hanging out at the top left corner of the back of the tank can be considered hosting

he always there

rushes out for food and to interact and then rushes back to his corner

am i correct?

I heard that you can actually do that. Bag both of them, re-arange your rockwork and I guess that confuses them, hahaha. Then you can have 2 happy clowns. If you introduce him right now forget it, wipeout city for one of those clowns.

That would work--would be best thing to do if you can afford to re-arrange your rocks and fix up your tank. However, the higher chances of success in introducing a new perc will be to make sure that the new perc is smaller, not significantly smaller or he will get bullied, but definitely noticeably smaller...as long as they're are the same species.

Yes, my clown hosts the powerhead, he stays there day and night, comes out to the front every now and again--notice in almost all of my tank shots from my gallery, he is never up front lol...

Not always the case Cesar. I have seen friends of mine just add a new clown with no precautions and had no trouble whatsoever. I myself added a True Perc with my maroon, just let him in a specimine container for a few hours and let him in. Nothing else more and they were fine together. But i would ALWAYS reccomend taking every precaution you can. Guess my post is just to show that...you never know what to expect with fishes =)

Originally posted by drg0nzo1

Not always the case Cesar. I have seen friends of mine just add a new clown with no precautions and had no trouble whatsoever. I myself added a True Perc with my maroon, just let him in a specimine container for a few hours and let him in. Nothing else more and they were fine together. But i would ALWAYS reccomend taking every precaution you can. Guess my post is just to show that...you never know what to expect with fishes =)

I did that myself. I introduced a Tomato Clown when I had 2 percs in that tank. Never had a problem. But now they have feaked me out that if I introduce one now to my Maroon it can be a disaster. I wanted a black & White perc but i wouldn't want to risk it.

Archived