Cultivated Reef

Gulf View Clam Rock!

e12pilot

Hey All,

Got my 20lbs of live rock yesterday from Gulf View. Looking around today I found what appear to be 3 decent size clams attached to the rock I purchased. This rock will be cycling my 10 gallon and I would like the clams to live. So here are my questions:

Should I:

A) Keep the clams in the tank while it cycles

B) Have a friend hold them in his nano while my tank cycles?

Also, I currently have 1 32watt PC over the tank. It is in the hood from Chris. What lighting would you suggest I put over the tank to keep these clams. I was thinking 2 55w on top of my 32 watt right now? Thanks for the advice.

Peter

printerdown01

It will of course depend upon what type of clams they are... But, I have never had any problems with clams surviving cycle (had barnicles die, but not clams). Hopefully you will be as fortunate. If they are photosynthetic however they will probably be a bit more delicate...

They're probably "turkey wings." I got a bunch of those on my GV rock and yes they survived the cycle, but I did daily 20% water changes until the ammonia and nitrite spikes cycled out, so most they had to deal with was 2PPM of each.

Turkey wings are not photosynthetic, but will need a healthy amount of phytoplankton dosing long-term.

Travis

My GV rock had them too. Very cool little clams and mine made it through the cycle without a problem.

They don't seem to like a lot of light though. Mine stay closed most of the day and open up at night when the lights are off but natural sunslight shines in.

Cameron

Cameron,

We may have the same type of clam, however all of mine open up at pretty much all times. They are also quite large. jflysmooth took one of my clams last night(the largest one) so it wouldn't die in the cycle. There is a good picture of it here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=5485

I was thinking about calling Dale @ Gulfview and asking him what kind of clam it is. Thanks for the help everyone.

Peter

That's what I got. I am going to move mine a little out of direct light into some shade to see if they will opne more. They are pretty colorful when there open.

The best thing I could find in my books is that it's called a Turkey Wing or Ark Clam. They like current and are filter feeders and it says they are hardy and can live for years.

They are sensative acclimators and are sensative to specific gravity changes...

Cameron

I got about five of them in my florida aquacultured rock. They are still alive. The rock I got cured from an LFS. My tank never went through a cycle.

I guess they get enough food since I am skimmerless. Occassionally, my peppermint shrimp attacks them, but they close up quickly. There is nothing special to see when they are open, just some clam-like thing, no colorful appendages like some scallops.

Archived