inTank Media Baskets

Urgent help! Milky water

freshwater

I came home tonight from work and see my one month old tank is all cloudy like milk. Any one has any idea what will cause it and what I should do to fix this. all my pumps are working. I do have 5 turbo snails and few anemones will they cause that. I am going now to test the levels and then update the post.

Do you think my tank is crashing?

freshwater opted to request a FLAME....

I came home tonight from work and see my one month old tank is all cloudy ....Any one has any idea what will cause it and what I should do to fix this.

Do you think my tank is crashing?

LOOK AT THE SIG .... I PRAY THAT IS ANOTHER TANK.........

12- hermit crabs blue leg. 12- astrea snails. 12- Mexicano red leg hermit crabs .5-Turbo snails mexican.1-cleaner shrimp

1-damsel. 2-clowns. 1-stripe damsel

1-Yellow Tang. 4-Anemones, 1-Brain, 1-xenia, 1-bubble coral, 1-Moon.

DONT BE SO F**KING STUPID.

one month? I PRAY that isnt the inhabatants in this tank. X)

ya probably have an anemone kicking on ya.

All the tests are OK.

It looks to me its an Sebae Anemone which was really big in the morning and now its just shrink to a quarter size. I can see lots of green junk coming out from it , is it dead or still alive. what you mean by kicking at ya.

I have done a 30% water change, remove the anemone and put in my other hospital tank.

All the inhabitants are not in one tank.

i'm with dave on this flambe. One month old tank? with a tang? with FOUR anemones? a moon? and no brains!

sorry, but that's just the typical newbie horror story there.

see if your lfs will take some of your critters for safekeeping (tang & moon, most likely 'cause the others won't be as welcome or survive) . putting them all into a tiny quarantine tank is not going to improve the situation, especially if a couple are on their death bed already. those anemones for sure, are going to give you massive problems.

another option is to quickly setup another tank (split the water volume and LR from the hospital) to hold the fish. anemones can look dead but still be very viable.

w/c your main tank (>50%) and tone down your bio-load. 1st rule in sw is this isn't fw.

could've have been a spawning? of macro algae (if you have any). there's obviously something amiss. test your water parameters and let us know the breakdown on how your inhabitants reside in the various tanks. good luck! :(

My neighbour's anemone got sucked into his powerhead and the water turned all milky like that. Sounds like what happened. A tang allready though? Yipes... not even I would do that :P

Yeah sounds like the anemone is distressed. Or, in more scientific terms, ready to kick the bucket. I would get that anemone out ASAP even if you have to flush it... it's not worth risking the rest of your livestock.

And the >50% water change is a priority, too.

Also, I would turn up the PRIZM flow rate to the point where you get a lot of light skimmate. As in, the cup fills in a few hours. Right now you need to worry about maximum removal, not setting it for the most efficient operation.

How many times do anemones prove to be a bad idea in reefs?

all i can say is your a complete retard putting all that in there did you even think before you added these to the tank and its only 1 MONTH OLD!!!! im not even gonna start all i can say is take most the stuff in there back to the lfs ,Chris

Does the tank stink? Nothing worse on the nostrils than anemone death.

Milky water? Get cookies.

Maybe the overcrowded conditions led to a massive reef orgy and the cloudy water is a result of , well, nevermind.

Someone take his reefing privledges away for overstocking the tank and doing so in a too short a period.

Errr ........... Let's see if we can save the situation purely for the sake of the livestock rather than just flaming the crepe out of Mr freshwater there. Plenty of time for that later.

Phasers on maximum to skim what's left of the nuked anemone and you might want to consider running some carbon as well. You say your parameters are still perfect. I'd also get the tang back to the best LFS in your area ASAP. 29g is too small for a tang in my view regardless of the uptime for the tank.

X)

You guys are too rough on the poor guy :(

By now you must have realized that you started all wrong. You should have informed yourself before jumping into the hobby. Learn from your mistake, and be informed.

When I started keeping FW aquaria 10 years ago I cramped a dozen big fish into a 5 gallon tank. Brand new. All dead within a week. Then I discovered rec.aquaria and got flamed. But I learned and here I am. Learning from my mistake I made sure I knew what I was doing before starting with saltwater.

Good luck.

he should have thought about the animals before then...... how would you like swimming in toxic water and your own filth with 3 of yer buddies in a garbage can?

FRESHWATER, do a w/c and see if the tank recovers. if you se any slime or sloughing of the flesh on an anemone, siphon it out in its entirety. IT WILL STINK TO HIGH HEAVEN.

flush in toilet.

MR. Conslusions advise is correct.

What do you have for lighting and filtration?

Sebae have a less than 12 % survivability in captivity.

I dont order or supply them anymore myself. they are better left in the ocean for the Clowns.

he should have thought about the animals before then...... how would you like swimming in toxic water and your own filth with 3 of yer buddies in a garbage can?

OK, all in all you are giving some good advice. But keep in mind that newbies like him (or me back 10 years ago) are often misled by ignorant LFS people and create these problems by no fault of their own.

Holy crap, If I ever do something like this, I will never, ever post a question on this forum about it. You guys are brutal - maybe you would have been easier if he posted in begginers? (I doubt it....

;)

I know they kind of harsh on me but its not there fault they have every right to critisize me. I did read a lot about the anemones before buying and the only thing I thought was that they do stings some time not they going to explode in my tank. There was never a real bad smell in my tank when the water goes milky.

OK now the GOOD NEWS. All tests are still Good

I put a magnum350 filter, 1-proaquatics 210 filter with carbon, running skimmer full blown and running my 2 power heads. 2-55W PC and planning to add one 175W MH soon.

moved the anemone to different tank, moved few critters and live stock to that tank also. so far i have done 50% water change.

The Water is almost back to its ORIGINAL color, fishes looks real happy and following me to feed them.

As far Tang goes I bought 1 from a LFS he has 3 tangs in a 20g tank for more then a month, I think I kind of help the Tang to move to 30G thinking of moving her to a much bigger tank later.

My Tang and the clowns looks to me the happiest ever since they were added to the tank.

I will return the anemones if they survive, and will never buy them again. It looks to me every thing survive in the tank, cant say that for the anemone.

when I started the thread I expect people to reply and they did, and i fully respect there concerns and advise after all thats the purpose of this forum.

Originally posted by PFB

Holy crap, If I ever do something like this, I will never, ever post a question on this forum about it. You guys are brutal - maybe you would have been easier if he posted in beginers? (I doubt it....

;)

yes, but the Problem wasnt the question... it was the FACTS of the situation and the only provided background information what was what lead us to yell at him.

advice was given BEYONDS the initial post I made. I got the flame out of the way and then the help came..... multiple wagon riders were not needed I agree.

FRESHWATER was good about it and took his lumps. For that I respect him/her.

post any question you wish..... if you are a bone head, people will let you know on any board.

and YES if it was posted in beginners, it perhaps wouldnt have been as harsh right off the start.

Proper tank set ups need "4 R's" for sucess.....

Reefs, Require. Reading and Research.

Archived