Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ID sand dweller w/tentacles

reef n ale

I've done many searches and haven't found any info on this one. It's the best pic I could get. This thing is about 1/2" across the tentacles. Doesn't like light at all (retracts into the sand very quickly,like a worm). At night can extend a good inch out of the sand. I have two of these that I know of in my tank. I think they came in with the sand and have not reproduced. Oh, and they haven't moved at all (up and down in the same spot all the time). Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Rob

it looks like it is just one of those small hitchhiker style anemonies, maybe aptasia, but not necesarily.

there are a few other types of little hitchhiker type anemonies, that is what it kind of looks like to me.

just suck them out if you dont like them, might be a good idea--don't give them the chance to reproduce (as they are probably asexual and capable of budding)

Yea, anemone was my first thought, but the thing moves so fast. I've never seen one move that fast, but that doesn't mean they can't. The not liking light thing really throws me off. They don't bother me(yet), but I'd love to get a positve ID before I yank them.

Rob

well they can suck into the sand fairly fast (have you ever watched an aptasia, when you kill it HA HA)

some are fairly mobile too.

i just don't know the name of it, but i have seen stuff very similar before.

No, I haven't seen an Aiptasia retract, so I can't compare. This thing retracts almost as fast as a featherduster. And don't anemones like light? I was hoping Fred or Nalbar would see this one and comment!

Rob

Not sure what it is exactly, type of worm has been suggested to me, but I had something like this that would only come out at night. It moved very fast and would hide in a small hole in a rock, behind a shroom, and it would appear after the lights were out. Haven't seen it for a while though so can't get a picture myself.

i spotted something similar in my tank a couple days ago. after looking around a little bit, i decided that it was a peanut worm. it didnt enjoy light either, and had a ring of little tentacles around it. mine was hanging out in the rocks, though. i understand that they're harmless.

good luck getting a positive ID on that guy!

~B

I have something that looks exactly like that that's hiding in a little cave in my rocks. It's been in the tank for probably a year now and hasn't bothered anything.

274610_125_full.jpg

Yea guys, I'm leaning towards some kind of worm thing, but I don't know. Not any kind of peanut worm (at least not any kind I've ever seen). And yes, so far it has been completely harmless. For now...

Rob

Archived