Pod Your Reef

how do you keep a mini-reef cool during the summer

RichWinC

during the summer...the temperature in my tank gets well above 80 degrees...i know that i should have the water at 76 degrees ..what should i do...i dont want to buy a chiller because thats too expensive for a small tank...and i cant leave the air conditioner on in my living room all day long...any help would be greatly appreciated..thanks

I slapped one of these boys on the back of my custom hood & bought a transformer. Problem solved. Of course I have more evaporation, but it's no big deal.

Oh, and you don't have to keep your water at 76 degrees. 78-80 is fine, and some members of this board allow their temps to get even higher with no problems.

damn! i thought this was going to be a joke thread. X)

go to kmart and buy a small (CHEAP!) desk fan. i leave it on 24/7 starting early april until october usually. it was cooler earlier tho this year. :)

just keep your eye on the evaporation rate or seal the system as much as possible (not airtight! X) ). a BIG factor are hob returns, if you can just cover them a little makes a BIG difference! ;)

You do know it's November right?

I bring my water temp to 82F during the summer to prevent fluctuations. No worries. It's far more important to keep the temp stable than to worry about hitting a specific number.

Hey satch, I'm heading uptown for the first of our birthing classes. I think next Thursday is the Lennox Walk Thru. Should I be dropping your name around so I can be taken to the reef tank supply room/med cabinet?

Well feel free. Maybe they'll load you up with enough drugs to get you through that birthing class.

Send me your street address again. I recently cleaned house with my PM list and accidently deleted that one. I've been yanking you around long enough with these frags. If I won't be in town next week, I'll get my girlfriend to drop it by. She's in the city everyday. She's gonna love this one. :)

Originally posted by Satchmo

I've been yanking you around long enough

Shhh, don't tell everyone or they'll all want a yank. Even better, you're sending the girlfriend to finish me off. I like that.

PM is on it's way.

Hey Rich, aren't you glad you joined? You ask a simple question about water temperature, and 10 posts later I'm sending women over to Crak-Head for a hand job. Gotta love this place :D

Hehe. Actually, I was just making a point of hijacking as many threads as possible and turning them into conversations revolving around me.

Sorry for stealing the thread and thanks for the hj satch

Archived