Cultivated Reef

Via Aqua aquariums

qsails

That's the first time I've seen round-cornered glass. I can't seem to find any pricing on their tanks. They've got a 150-gallon - I'm curious as to how much they want for it.

Lacrosseboss18

My LFS carries them as well. I looked into it but you need to change a few things on it though. He said they work well but you need to change the powerhead on them because it isnt enough. He also said that the lights needed to be changed. I took a quick look at the website but i didnt see the 2X32W I could be wrong about hte lights but you need a new powerhead for the tank. Hope i helped

Joey

I have the 21 gal, chrome, with the lights - I believe they are 2x36 (but I don't see it listed). I really like the set up. I ended up throwing away the UG filter and replacing the PH because the one it comes with is pretty much useless (no way to mount it on the side of the glass). Granted the tank has only been set up for 3 weeks, but so far, I am impressed.

printerdown01

They make a 11 gallon that has 2x18W (I think). At a LFS around here (San Diego, Ca) it retails for about $160. They really do make awesome set-ups! attachment.php?s=&postid=26455 This pic was taken by nanoreefin at Aquatic Warehouse (the a LFS in San Diego that sells them... They have a website, and I believe they ship too).

• 2 weeks later...
Temecula Reefer

There is a LFS in Vista, CA that has the 18 gallon Via Aqua set up as a reef and looks really good..... I am going to buy one today.... I am worried about evaporation because it has no top.... but we'll see.. :)

Don't let evaporation worry you - they are folks in the forums here that make automatic top-off devices for around $30, and they've gotten great reviews. Do a search on "topoff", "top off", or "top-off" in you're interested.

Have 30 lbs LR and 15lbs of LS, other than that, no other filteration and no skimmer. Finally got my other PH and new Ebo Jager heater last night, put those in and finished up the custom cover. Should be ready to start adding a clean up crew this week end.

Temecula Reefer

Tonk.... can you post a pic of the hood when you get it done... I was thinking about making one, I just ordered a stand to fit that tank(don't have time to mess with building it) and hopefully my tank will be in tomorrow!

yeah I will take some pics of it tonight and post them tomorrow.

I hear ya about the stand, right now, mine is sitting on the floor. The dresser that it is going be put on doesn't get here till Feb...

I tried to take some decent pics of the hood, well actually it is just a piece of plexi-glass cut in the shape of the mouth of the tank, and it being clear and all, it was really hard to see any of the detail.

But to give you other Via Aqua owners an idea...

Home Depot has plexi-glass sheets.

Made some quick measurements of the tank - paying attention to where your lights are situated. Get a piece of cardboard and draw out a template. Cut and fit (repeat this process until you are satisified with the fit)

Trace your cardboard template onto your plexi-glass sheet.

I found that using a dremel #456 1 1/2" cut off wheel worked best. I tried doing the x-acto and ruler thing and ended up cracking the plastic. Anyways - cut out the plastic in the shape of your template - cut and fit (repeat this process until you are satisified with the fit)

I have noticed that by making and using this "hood" H2O evap has been slowed way down. I haven't noticed much of a difference in lighting (but I am sure there is some). Also, the water is much cleaner.

Let me know if you have any questions - I'd be happy to help out in any way I could.

Temecula Reefer

Thanx for the info, but I was really hopin you were buildin a hood for that tank... my stand is done today, I'm pickin up the tank tomorrow... and i was thinkin about buidling a full hood because I want it covered and I think I want more light.... I want to use a refugium.. the LFS has a refugium on it, but I want a skimmer also, so I was thinkin about having it drilled when I pick it up so I can add a refiugium under, in the stand.. what do yall think?

At the LFS I work for, I have set up an 11 gallon Via Aqua with the 2x18pc lights. To demonstrate the capabilites of an all inclusive system for under 110.00 I have used nothing else but what the setup comes with. I am running the stock undergravel filter w/ the stock powerhead and the stock pc lights. I personally think the tank looks fantastic, and I get compliments from many of our customers on the appearance of the tank. I even have a small, 1.5", ultra maxima clam in there. The clam is growing and doing excellent, as is every other coral in the tank. The only thing I dose with is b-ionic, 3ml each component every other day. Twice a week the tank gets fed DT's and Roti-Rich, the clam is spotfed a mixture of the two once a week. I perform a 1 gallon water change every saturday on it, and the water chemistry is tested 3 times a week. I am going to try and get some pictures of it and will post if everyone is interested. IMHO if you are a student, or a reefer on a budget, this is an excellent buy for 109.99.

• 2 weeks later...

I can back up Hinecken on that matter. I've been to the LFS that he works at, and I've seen both the 11 gal and the 18 gal Via Aqua tanks( the 11 gal was set up with coral in the store and the 18 wasn't ), and I must say, it looked really nice. It is a nice tank, everything in it was very healthy. Since I saw it, I've been leaning towards buying it myself. It's a really nice tank for little money, a great buy.

Temecula Reefer

Does anyone know if the back glass is tempered or not????? I am trying to get it drilled and the glass companies wont do it until I know......

I asked about drilling them at work and I was told not to. He said he wasn't sure, but because of the odd construction, not to drill it.

• 3 weeks later...

I just set one of these 11g up this weekend and I love it. I transferred everything from my 10g nano to this one. I'm running a DIY CPR Bak Pak replica skimmer that I built on it and about 20lbs of LR. I'm curious to know if you can upgrade the lighting on these with the 2x36w setup. I currently have the 2x18w setup. Anybody know about this?

Archived