Coral Vue Hydros

24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works

steelhealr

New Tank Mod

I added a new tank mod tonite and I'll post it outside this thread to help others. Many of you have read about it. It's called a Hydor Flo.

hydorflo.jpg

It is an outflow nozzle that rotates 360 degrees and simulates 'wave' action. A sponge can be applied to the outside and it rotates above the water improving aeration (I don't have the sponge on it yet). It looked intimidating at first, but, took only a couple of minutes.

Instructions

1) Do your weekly water change to lower the tank water level

2) Grab the outflow flange by the 'duckbill' and gently twist. It should twist off easily.

hydorflo1.jpg

3) The duckbill is now removed exposing the outflow flange

hydorflo2.jpg

4) Find the adapter that fits into the NC outflow best, push it into the HydorFlo and then insert the HydorFlo onto the NC outflow flange.

hydorflo3.jpg

You're done. If you bought the rotating sponge, you can put it over the HF.

New Hitchhiker

Couldn't believe it but tonite I found a NEW hitchhiker in my tank. Would you believe it's a sea star??? I tried taking some pix but too dark. Will retry tomorrow. Hope it's compatible with my reef.

Just trying to make the big boy stuff within reach of us 'newbies'. Hope this helped. SH

Got if from LA...it's really cool, an easy mod and I'm glad I did it. Some people have been PM'ing saying to remove the plastic ring about the back, but, I'm leaving it as is. If a snail gets caught, I'll remedy it then. SH

burtbollinger

Curious, I just installed the MJ1200 per your recomendation...BUT would adding this hydor thing diminish the extra flow that I just got?

I guess my question is...does it diminish flow?

BurtB....I'm sure it must to some degree...HOWEVER....when it hits its upward deflection, and the water surface is waved upward, I would think that the aeration gained is WELL WORTH any flow rate lost. Actually, it diverts movement in more areas of the tank and I actually think it improves directional water movement. BTW...love the avatar. SH

Originally posted by steelhealr

BurtB....I'm sure it must to some degree...HOWEVER....when it hits its upward deflection, and the water surface is waved upward, I would think that the aeration gained is WELL WORTH any flow rate lost. Actually, it diverts movement in more areas of the tank and I actually think it improves directional water movement. BTW...love the avatar. SH

SH,

Does it splash water onto the splash guard?

Also, on another note, have u been reading about the leaking nanos and cracking nanos?

I'm still pondering if i should go with a nanocube. I love it's all-in-one system idea(especially if you're keeping easy corals) and it's look.

Got if from LA...it's really cool, an easy mod and I'm glad I did it. Some people have been PM'ing saying to remove the plastic ring about the back, but, I'm leaving it as is. If a snail gets caught, I'll remedy it then. SH

Btw, that plastic ring on the hydor flo. Can you cut it away with a strong pair of scissors? OR does it need to be dremeled?

The Hydor Flo is 12 bucks on Drs. FosterSmith. I checked the 'wave' height and it is not higher than the tank wall, so, no, it doesn't hit the splash guard.

As for the cracking NC's, yes, I've been following those threads along very closely. It's a tough call. At the beginning of my thread, you can see what I thought were the advantages and disadvantages. The lines of the cube are it's main strong points. However, you have MUCH MORE flexibility with designing your tank if you go with an AGA or other open type tank. I mean really, what regular person would want to buy a NC and then have to do so much 'futzing' with it unless you're like many of the aquarists here who have the time and patience to DIY the heck out of this system.

Well..if you've read Chris at NanoCustoms posts, the cracks seem to be within the 'expected' range when viewed with the total numbers sold. I will say one thing though, I'm glad I tested my tank for a full week before setup. If you don't have AC in your home and have wide temp fluctuations, maybe a NC isn't wise choice. JMO. SH

PS..to szesteve...I saw one post with a drill and circular sanding bit on it....probably was a dremel. If you had half a day, you probably could just sand it down. lol SH

The Hydor Flo is 12 bucks on Drs. FosterSmith. I checked the 'wave' height and it is not higher than the tank wall, so, no, it doesn't hit the splash guard.

As for the cracking NC's, yes, I've been following those threads along very closely. It's a tough call. At the beginning of my thread, you can see what I thought were the advantages and disadvantages. The lines of the cube are it's main strong points. However, you have MUCH MORE flexibility with designing your tank if you go with an AGA or other open type tank. I mean really, what regular person would want to buy a NC and then have to do so much 'futzing' with it unless you're like many of the aquarists here who have the time and patience to DIY the heck out of this system.

Well..if you've read Chris at NanoCustoms posts, the cracks seem to be within the 'expected' range when viewed with the total numbers sold. I will say one thing though, I'm glad I tested my tank for a full week before setup. If you don't have AC in your home and have wide temp fluctuations, maybe a NC isn't wise choice. JMO. SH

SH,

I started with an AGA before too and it just got too messy(IMO). I want something that looks nice and tidy like a NC. It's a good thing the new place i'm moving to has AC. I will most likely wait till i move to get it and will probably leak test it for a week like you.

Did u have everything running when u leak tested? or did u just fill it with water and left it alone.

I checked with the stores here in canada and they've sold 30+ or so with no returns so i'm hoping that's a good sign. The ones they carry don't have the moonlight though.

I ran the whole system for a week with FW...checked different heaters....checked the fuge light..suspended, submerged..pumps...etc...I think, overall, the sytstem is safe. You just have to inspect it and test it carefully. I DO think that the curved areas on the glass may be more susceptible to stress fractures if subjected to LARGE temp swings or physical shock. I think otherwise they are safe. SH

I ran the whole system for a week with FW...checked different heaters....checked the fuge light..suspended, submerged..pumps...etc...I think, overall, the sytstem is safe. You just have to inspect it and test it carefully. I DO think that the curved areas on the glass may be more susceptible to stress fractures if subjected to LARGE temp swings or physical shock. I think otherwise they are safe. SH

Great. Will get my hands on one of these puppies soon.

dud its coming along nicely keep it up and -

####___####___####__##__##_

##_##_##__##_##__##_##_##__

####__##__##_##_____####___

##_##_##__##_##__##_##_##__

##_##__####___####__##__##_

_####__###___##__##

##__##_####__##__##

##__##_##_##_##__##

##__##_##__####____

_####__##___###__##

copyright

To all my thread readers, supporters, contributors and ...new friends....I am going to put a temporary hold on my thread because earlier today, I found a hairline crack on the bend of my tank glass. I have pretty good photos throughout my thread that, when I zoom, I don't see it.

As you know, sNEIRBO and others have suffered catastrophic failures to their tank. I, like others, attributed some of this to bad luck, damage during shipping or other outside sources of stress. However, my tank looked good. NOT! Based on my own involvment now, and the failures which, to me, do NOT seem anecdotal, I have lost faith in the design of the Nano Cube. I have posted this separately.

I will stay here and help others who post or help out other new 'setuppers'. I am just not going to move forward on my tank. In fact, I now have to find a 'lifeboat'. Thanks for eveyone's support and all the great people who have visited me here. SH

yellowbird53

All of my best to you. You, above all others have helped me make a success oif my tank, where I know I would have failed otherwise. Do not give up! Contact Chris at NanoCustoms. He is generous to a fault, and has a red phone to JBJ, and has gotten results that I would have doubted possible. Please stay on. All my best to you.

Namsate,

Richard

Hey SH,

You are the Godfather for many of us newbs who have nanos. When I saw your post this morning, my confidence in the cube was nearly destroyed. How Nanocube handles your situation will greatly affect how alot of us feel about this product. Hopefully, they will make it right for you. If they don't, there is a great injustice in that. I'm sure they will take care of the problem, and you can resume consulting your fellow followers :) Don't give up SH.

Sorry about your luck SH, that really sucks. Your thread has been the foundation for many noobs such as myself to take the plunge into nano-reefing. I thank you for all the hard work you've put into it, and i hope a solution to your problem is found before it escalates any further.

Hopefully this will end well for you and your livestock.

Thanks to all....I have a separate post on this problem. My thread is still here and I'll pitch in still with anyone who needs advice. At present, recommended backup tanks include:

1) Oceanics 30 gallon cube, pricey

2) SeaClear's 30 gallon acrylic

3) AGA's 26G Bow front (my leanings)

4) DIY glass tank designed to your specifications at Garf's website

These suggestions came in on my other thread. I will keep you posted. It's sad....my tank is starting to mature too...diatoms down, nitrates falling, corals thriving, new sea star hitchhiker, etc. For those with a good NC, I suggest you THOROUGHLY inspect your seamless corners and make it a maintenance routine. SH

• Christopher Marks unpinned this topic