Innovative Marine Aquariums

Green hairy looking algae! HELP!

ggee1

My nano has been running for about a month now and it has now cropped up with this hairy algae. I have turbo snails (2) which may not be enough! I plan on getting more hopefully today, but they charge a arm and a leg around here for a simple turbo snail!

I would like to find a cheaper place here in Northeast Ohio to purchase from, any suggestions?

I would rather not take the rock out and wash it if at all possible!

Thanks!

Greg

http://www.clubmojolive.com/nanoreef/index.htm

nice chunk of rock! actually, i like the way the algae looks on it, kinda like a mountain-look with grass. B) you'll know it's getting out of hand when it's on the sandbed.

i'd leave it alone right now since your tank is so new. (only three weeks) you may want to check how much you're feeding the clowns but it may just be the system's just settling in.

pulling out some of the algae would be helpful. (export) getting more cleanup crews to eat the algae will make it look better but that would just lock the nutrients into the cleaners' bio-mass. when they run out of food then they die and start the whole process over but in stereo! :o you may want to use some phosphate removers to starve the algae out too.

btw, those bubbles were driving me crazy! and i have dsl too! X)

Sorry about the bubbles! :P

Thanks for the advice though! I just did not want it to get out of control.

The clowns get fed every other day with Formula One, they have also been eating off the rock.

Greg

printerdown01

I'm with tiny... Slow feeding of clowns if nessicary, and add a phosphate remover (phosphate sponge or phospho-x work well). Your HOB filter will give you a great place to put the chem filtration ;).

since you don't have any corals, i'd agree w/printerdown that a phosphate sponge may be of some help. i won't use one again though since i used phosguard (seachem). it removed phosphate alright, and helped stifle the growth of the micro-algae, but it also seems to have caused one of my stony corals to bleach. since removing the phosguard it has begun regaining its color, and i'm now attempting to use macro-algae as an export mechnism instead. i've heard that all of the phosphate sponges are basically made out of the same stuff (aluminum something or other i think), and i've heard of other people having similar problems with them. it should be ok for your tank since i didn't see that you had any corals.

Archived