ReefCleaners.org

Dosing Kalk in a 12DX

ClarkiiClown

ClarkiiClown

Ok- I want to set up a DIY kalk dose. Now I understand that the kalk is held in a container and only a certain amount can be saturated in the water so as long as you dont shake your kalk mix up you can overdose that way.

Now my question in do I let this run all day to compensate for the evaporation in my tank? Do I run it at night only?

Do I use the water from the kalk doser for my sole evap replacement? (half fresh RO and half kalk-RO? or some other percentage of the two?)

Any other considerations that I need to be aware of? Anyone else have a working kalk doser on a 12dx?

You would only want to dose Kalk at night to keep from having a large ph change. Also you don't want to dose a lot at once. Right now I have a drip dose on my 24g DX. Drips about 1 drop /second. Dose 8oz of Kalk water each night. Do have a pump on order that I will set up on a timer. Top off w/ RO water in the daytime. Dose Kalk @ night.

ClarkiiClown

OK- I have about 4oz of evap a day so if I set mine to say, 1 drop every 3 or 4 seconds that might be a good place to start.

Do you know how many milliters 1 drop per sec equals out to?

ndfootball5489

Kalk is something that you have to be real careful with. And in such a small tank it wouldn't take much to mess something up.

Originally posted by ClarkiiClown

OK- I have about 4oz of evap a day so if I set mine to say, 1 drop every 3 or 4 seconds that might be a good place to start.

Do you know how many milliters 1 drop per sec equals out to?

Math makes my brain hurt. If you have 4oz of evap in a 24hr period, I'd top off 2 oz during the day and drip 2oz Kalk at night. I would think this would keep SG & ph fairly steady. Or you could drip all 4oz (Kalk) at night. Wouldn't matter if it took 2 hrs or 4 IMO. One thing you will want to test for is ph and hardness dK (dH?). Throw the #'s in a spreadsheet and graph it along with how many ounces of Kalk you drip. See what the trend is & adjust. As to how many ml 1 drop /sec equals depends on the size of the drop. No, really. Drops are different sizes. Honest!

ClarkiiClown

Point taken on being careful. I am going to do this REALLY REALLY slow. Like an ounce of kalk water overnight to start with. I plan to check everything during the night too. Im going to have some water ready too incase I have to do an emergency water change.

Thanks for the replies!

Archived