inTank Media Baskets

my ocellaris & anemone

fishfanv

asked hubby and he said they were some kind of ceramic thing he has in the filter that fell out. and, he's already taken them out of the tank & put them back into the filter.

Well... if it's a reef tank... Those will probably end up just turning into a nitrate factory... But that's just my opinion on mechanical filters and such... That is a nice looking pair you have there. Hopefully the anemone will do well for you. :)

Sorry the anemone looks bad. It's really white. Which means it is under major stress or it's been bleached.

The clown looks great. Make sure your hubby does take those ceramic rings out though.

the anemone had only been in the tank for about 10 minutes at the time of the photo so it was definitely still stressed out from being transported & put into a new home. it's doing much better now that it's been in the tank for about 6 days!

also, i've looked at photos of pink tip hatian anemones and they all look white to me, except on the base, which are orangey-pink like mine (not shown in the photo i posted).

and yes, hubby already took out the rings & put them back into the filter.

Originally posted by SoCal Reefer

will an occelaris host a hatian?

well, the clown has yet to host the anemone, but both have only been in the tank for less than a week. if he doesn't host it i can always get another anemone :)

You obviously didn't do any research before you bought the tank.

The Haitian Reef Anemone requires strong light and should never be purchased if a good lighting system is not in place. It will do well in an aquarium with live rock and several crustaceans. Although an Anemone requires a reef environment, it is not the best suited for the reef aquarium. The Haitian Reef Anemone moves around the tank and has a sting that can inflict grave damage to other anemones and corals. Do not include its natural predators such as the Red-Leg Hermit Crab. Unlike other anemones, the Haitian Reef Anemone does not have a relationship with any particular fish, and it is rare for any type of clownfish or damsel to reside within them.

MGX- We did research & this is what we found out that's why we got it! I don't understand why people are saying that the color is white & it's not doing well. That is it's natural color..read below.

One of the easiest anemones to care for, the Pink Tip Anemone can be a good choice for a beginner. In a home aquarium, Pink Tip Anemones may move about an aquarium. This can be unfortunate, if other corals or anemones are present, as they could be harmed by its stinging tentacles.( don't have any other corals or anemones. It's mostly FOWLR tank) Pink Tip Anemones are generally quite hardy provided water quality is good. ( My water params are in the norm) The Pink Tip Anemone has relatively thick white or tan tentacles of moderate length. The tips of these are often a bright pink color, though some specimens have tips that are very light pink or similar in color to the rest of the tentacle. The specimens found near Haiti often have orange or red bases and appear to be somewhat more hardy. ( that's what we have.) Various supplements like iodine and trace elements should be regularly replenished. Good substrates include live rock or sand, into which the Pink Tip Anemone can burrow to anchor it's foot. ( I have LR & LS, I also dose my water with supplements.) Found in the western Atlantic, the Pink Tip Anemone is also known as the Haitian Anemone, or Haitian Condylactis. These anemones are quite popular, due to their relative hardiness and generally low cost. As far as lighting I do admit I'm lacking on that, but I will be getting a retro-fit on my tank as a replacement for my stock 13w 10k 50/50 actinic power compact.

^^ haha sorry but taht isnt correct. They are very hard to keep, and you dotn see a healthy one so thats why you see white ones, they should be a cream color. And they will sometimes host a clown but usualy wont. And the ceramic rings are a good way to raise nitrates do searches on here and reef central to find out all you need to know.

Phergus,

I've taken out the ceramic rings yesterday out of my system. Just running a chemi-Pure bag in there now. I will do more searches & ask my friend who is a seasoned reefer to get to the bottom of this conflicting data.

thx.

Just got off the phone with my buddy & he said that these anemone should be white in color. To tell if they are in bad shape they turn clear, and he also said that they loose their ability to suction when they are sick. I recently relocated this anemone & I had a hard time since it was stuck really well to the LR. This is coming straight from a reefer who has been doing this for years. I've seen his 55 & 120 gal tanks & it's all doing well. So I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

Will update you guys if it all craps out.

Believe me DJGonzo69, that anemone is not doing well. The lights itself speaks for this matter. Like I told you before we have all done mistakes and buying this anemone was one. Dont feel bad though. Im not trying to flame you at all.

Cesar,

Oh no not at all. I'm taking all your input on this. That's why I'm asking different prople on this matter. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I know that my light is not powerful, that's why I'm replacing it with a retro-fit with a more powerful wattage. I'm following the rule of 4w/gal. since I have a 12gal tank. So I'm looking at 48w or what ever is out there that is equal or more than 48w.

Originally posted by DJGonzo69

Cesar,

Oh no not at all. I'm taking all your input on this. That's why I'm asking different prople on this matter. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I know that my light is not powerful, that's why I'm replacing it with a retro-fit with a more powerful wattage. I'm following the rule of 4w/gal. since I have a 12gal tank. So I'm looking at 48w or what ever is out there that is equal or more than 48w.

it's a wonder we're not being driven insane by all the conflicting info we've been getting, both online & in person! some say they're easy to take care of, won't kill our ocellaris, will be hosted by the ocellaris. then some say they're very hard to take care of, will kill our ocellaris and won't be hosted by the ocellaris. ???

can someone please send me a photo of a HEALTHY pink tip so we can compare it to the one we have? the photos online looked just like the one we have, down the orangey-pink base and slightly pinkish/lavender tentacle tips.

and as my hubby, DJGonzo69, said, we're replacing the lighting and will as always check back with everyone for more advice.

• 2 weeks later...

heres a pic...it should be a nice tan...this is not min but i had one years back in a 10gal with 60w of NO. Was fed every other day and it grew really fast...they will move a ton

thanks unit for the pics. now i know what to look for when we buy more anemones. my hubby ordered a 96w quad that should be coming sometime soon. after it's installed is when we'll think of adding more anemones, shrooms, etc.

also, the reason it's easy to know that this is unlikely to be a host anemone is that it's from the Atlantic. There are no clownfish in this anemone's natural habitat.

Originally posted by calvin

also, the reason it's easy to know that this is unlikely to be a host anemone is that it's from the Atlantic.  There are no clownfish in this anemone's natural habitat.

i know that now (after someone told me earlier), but it doesn't matter to me if the clown hosts it or not :) the anemone crab hosts it though, which surprised me!

Archived