Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Supplements

reyberg

I am getting ready to start my tank this weekend and am a little unsure of what supplements I need to start adding. I will be keeping SPS, Clams, and mushrooms. I know I need the basics in supplementation but a mnot sure on Strontnium and others. Also I would like to drip them into my sump. Is that a good idea or not?

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan,

Wow - no offense, but sounds like you have some reading to do. Please don't take offense to this - what I mean is - well....you need to need to read all you can before you start.

If you're not even sure what supplements to add, the last thing you need to do is start off with SPS & clams. They are very difficult to keep, and it's not fair to the animals unless you know what you're doing. Mushrooms will be fine, by the way!

If you're just starting your tank this weekend, don't add any supplements during your cycle. Wait until it's finished.

Start off with something easier like softies or LPS (if you must have stonies). Remember - knowledge is power, so read all you can!

Good luck,

Ross

I like the sound of your set up, thanks for the details. Weekly water changes are much more effective then messing around with chemicals in a bottle. Just watch and maintain your Ca and alk with frequent water changes and you should be ok.

Just a little FYI, you may want to reconsider the shrooms with the sps, they can encroach on the base of the sps and cause problems. They can quickly become pests in a sps display.

Ross is right, start by giving us the specs of the tank, it would be a big help.

Once you have your tank set up you will need to cycle it and this could take up to or longer than a month so don't go throwing money away on livestock that might not survive the cycling period.

Next, do some research regarding the types of critters you plan on keeping. Make sure your lighting is sufficient as well.

Take everything real slow or you will waste your money and murder defensless animals.

Specs on the tank are 20 Long. Lighting- PSL made a custom hood for me (1) 150watt HQI 10,000k and (2) 55watt true actinics. Filtration includes Bak Pak Filter and a Sump very similar to an Ecosystem (10gal). Thanks to all who have answered this thread.

Ryan

Archived