Cultivated Reef

Newbee

SundownRocker

SundownRocker

ok... I have kept freshwater aquariums for years. I am ready to dive into the world of nano reefs. I have got a ton of info. I think I am going with the 24 gallon NanoCube. How many fish can I have, and is this a good idea? Everyone keeps telling me it is REALLY hard to keep theses... I am a little nervous

newbiecarlz

yep its a great idea! i dont find my nano difficult to keep at all. as long as you do your research you should be fine. you need to get some live rock and let the tank cycle, then add your livestock slowly and remember to do your water changes.

just make sure you research your livestock and make sure you can meet their needs in your tank. the small tanks are harder to keep (in theory) than larger tanks because water parameters can fluctuate much quicker and there is less margin for error. so in a nano you have to be aware of this and do things like top off your evap regularly and be careful about adding to much new livestock etc because you have less 'buffer time' than in larger systems.

'how many fish' will depend on what kind of fish, most people keep 2 or 3 max in the 12 gal cube, do some searches to see what other people are keeping in the 24 gal. remember you are still restricted to small fish in the 24gal, dont go putting a tang in there! popular fish on this site are clowns, gobies, six line wrasses, pesudochromis, damsels, blennys etc

Archived