Top Shelf Aquatics

Help with Devil's Hand

jmguerry12

I have a Devil's hand Leather, when I brought it home it looked good. The about 4 days later it looked like it was having problems. It looked like it was grey, it wouldn't expand during the day, the polyps weren't coming out. Then about 2 days after that it looked normal again. Now its back to the sick looking leather can anyone help?? My params looked good, I just don't know what to do

I think it's in the process of growing. I had a DH frag in my previous 40 gal. tank and it did this as well. I thought it was dying since I went gray and shrunk and stayed that way for a couple weeks at least once or twice and then it came back to normal. I wouldn't worry about it yet, but keep an eye on it and document what happens.

jenniebutterfly

mine likes to be right in the flow of my powerhead. if i move it, it mopes. try putting it in good flow :) jennifer

This is pretty normal for these corals. Basically they will shed a slime coat, which makes them close up for a bit, then they just miraculously bounce back. Since I gradually adjusted mine to higher flow, it sheds its coat easily and is always open.

Just a note...this coral has been a good indicator of water quality in my system. It loves stable water parameters, fresh carbon, and water changes, as well as adequate flow.

Archived