Cultivated Reef

new xenia

BustytheSnowMaam

BustytheSnowMaam

What is normal behavior for a new xenia? When it arrived, it was completely slumped over and not moving, now it is somewhat upright and pulsing a bit, but not standing up yet. Does it take time? Does the pulsing ever become more regular?

Tasha

It might take it a few days to perk up. Mine was unhappy for about 24 hours, then quickly attached, and started pulsing.

Don't worry, it's tough stuff ;-)

I just got a xenia last week and the same thing happened to mine. I repositioned it until it was happy, extented, and pulsing. Moving it just an inch or less made a big difference.

I got Xenia last week also. I had trouble getting it to be attached, as it always was knocked over and ended upside down in the substrate. It finally attached, and extends for periods of time quite nicely. It even seems to have grown in three days or so. However, it still closes up for long periods of time, I don't know why.

Do you have yours with your big hermit? Mine has knocked it over once.

BustytheSnowMaam

Ok, I can already see where this post might be going by my descriptions...

The piece of rock the xenia is on is branched into two extensions. The xenia at the end of one extension is extended, pumping, doing fine. The xenia at the end of the other is pulsing, but only semi-erect. It droops quite a bit. I have the frag positioned quite close to the light, in probably slow to med flow (you can tell the water is moving, but the xenia isn't swaying in the breeze or anything). Should I give it a couple of days? I will also try adding some iodine.

Oceanhighz, thanks for the link to that thread, it gave me some good info. Chufa, I have it secured pretty tightly with a rubber band so that the hermits (esp. the big one) don't knock it over. So far they completely ignore it.

Tasha

anytime I can help ya I will, heh, just happens that I had about the same kind of stuff happen to me when I first got it.

Brandon

Archived