Pod Your Reef

Bugs on Glass

LSUtiger

Well, I got home today and noticed little white bugs on the glass. I am guessing this is a good thing. My LR has been in the tank since this past Saturday. The snail that came with the rock was on the front glass this evening when I got home from work, so he is hanging in there. I tested for ammonia this evening, and there is still basically nothing detectable.....it may be starting to show up. I can see some of those same little white bugs floating at the top. I just wanted to post an update on what I'm seeing in the tank so far.

There are a few things on the rock that I don't know what they are. The most noticeable is a tube sticking out of the rock about 1/8" in diameter. It opens up when I turn the lights on and closes back up when the lights go out or if something gets near it (i noticed that today when I was in the tank adn got close to it). It is light brown/orangish in color. I also have some plant life in there. The other thing that I noticed yesterday is a bright red little tube coming out of something on a rock. That's all I can say about that one so far. I need to get me a digital camera....maybe I cna get it for me for Christmas. : )

Mark

Yup, this is the fun part - just waiting to see what appears in your tank. The little "bugs" all over your glass are probably pods that'll be beneficial to your tank. In time, they'll grow & multiply even more. One thing I've noticed in my tank - the pod populations comes & goes, probably as a result of the amount of available food for them.

No telling what the other stuff is you're describing. Small feather dusters, feather worms, who knows.... It's all amazing to watch, though.

Ross

you will see them swarming a certain area of your glass or rock. this is them feeding.

As to why they are good, they are part of the reef food chain. You won't always notice them but they are there.

Archived