inTank Media Baskets

ID this Praying Mantis like thing, please

Diatome

My first post and it has to be an ID. I have 2 tanks, a 12 gal Nano Cube (no delux) and it has been running for some time. My new tank is a 37 gallon and is cycling and I came across these hitchikers on some macro algae. The move almost like an inch worm and wave their front appendages around and seem to be catching something and they go nuts when one of them crosses the path of another. Quite a site to see them fighting. They do swim sometimes but it is a struggle and seem to move better by inching along. I highlited up the "creature" so it would be easier to see. They are a little grayer than this.

post-24-1112280864.jpg

Don't get me started on sea spiders. I hate spiders in general, ask my wife who expects me to kill them, and I did have a sea spider on a 10 pound rock. Almost broke that rock. I have just never seen one with a long thin body and antena. The front apendages are used to grab onto things. There isn't anything in this tank except a few snails but the tank they came from housed sea horses, pipe fish and some nudibranch. It was from a display in an LSF. Also should mention, there isn't just one of these. I see about 20-25 running around.

PS, actually I do just put spiders out in my garden usually.

No. It has a long, thin segmented body with 3 sets of legs it anchors to rock and substrate with. It also has 2 antena, two long apendages that it folds up like a mantis would but it waves them in the water column, apparently catching something. It holds with the front appendages and bends in teh middle as it lifts the back legs off the surface and pulls them in and then anchors and lifts off with the front. Moves like an inch worm. They can swim somewhat. They are long and thin, not shaped like any sea spider I have seen. One of the marine biologists my wife works with says it is a shrimp and I tend to agree but it's not like a mud shrimp. They are actually very entertaining to watch. They leave the snails alone and the hermits and avoid the few zoos that are now near them. I have a zoanthid spider in one of my tanks I have yet to catch so my zoos are in with these guys and they are leaving each other alone.

Here is another photo, showing the body fully extended. It's long not rounded in anyway. The longest appendages are in the front and are used with great flourish.

post-24-1112364388.jpg

I am having too much fun with them. Besides, they actually are alone except for a few snails. They are in a new 37 gallon that isn't even finished cycling. Though there is only nitrates at 20 and no nitrites or ammonia, it's a while before I call it done. I had some close encounters with some zoos because of my other tank and my quarantine tank having some changes and one hitchiker but right now, they are alone and are facinating. This new tank is for my twin daughters. It can turn into anything. My cube ran for a year before the first livestock so I am paitent and have been known to hang onto hitchikers. Have a 5 gallon just for that. Lost my mantis so it's open for new stuff. I did say they, there is around 30 in the tank.

Finally found it. Interesting but not too freaky.

Phylum Arthropoda

Subphylum Crustacea

Class Malacostraca

Subclass Eumalacostraca

Superorder Peracarida

Order Amphipoda

Suborder Caprellidea

Infraorder Caprellida

Family Caprellidae

Genus Caprella

Species laeviuscula

Description: 3.5 cm in length; color varies from pale brown to greenish to rose; body is long, thin, smooth and jointed; two antennae, first is one third of the body length and twice as long as the second antennae; first and second thoracic appendages have grasping claws, the second appendage is much larger; next two appendages contain saclike gills; bristly grasping appendages on the last three segments are directed backward.

Habitat: Found clinging to hydroids, bushy algae and other growth.

Natural History: It is an omnivorous feeder that eats detritus, one-celled plants, small invertebrates. It is preyed upon by shrimp, sea anemones and several fish species. Females of some species of skeleton shrimp apparently kill the males after mating using a poisonous claw. Source: http://www.nwmarinelife.com/html/phylum.html

Here is a great site for IDing pods as well as other things.

http://www.dnr.state.sc.us/marine/sertc/ga...ery%20intro.htm

post-24-1112619312.jpg

Archived