Top Shelf Aquatics

removing bubble algae from bubble coral

OscarGuyGoneNano

OscarGuyGoneNano

Anyone have any sugestions on how I can remove bubble algae from my bubble coral? I just noticed it growing on the plates (it can only be seen when the coral isn't expanded). I am worried that if I just pull them off it will damage the coral. It doesn't seem to be bothering it right now but don't want it to end up killing it.

neanderthalman

Emerald mithrax crabs eat bubble algae. Be warned, I've read that some indiviudals of the species will nip at corals. Generally, algae growth on a coral is a bad thing.

OscarGuyGoneNano
Originally posted by neanderthalman

Emerald mithrax crabs eat bubble algae.  Be warned, I've read that some indiviudals of the species will nip at corals.  Generally, algae growth on a coral is a bad thing.

I have one emerald crab but he hasn't gone anywhere near the bubble coral (Probably scared of getting eaten, it's a big coral). I don't know if he does a real good job in the rest of the tank or the problem for right now is just on one the coral. The tank I got the coral from at the lfs has a bubble algea problem and I think thats where it came from however I just noticed it.

neanderthalman

I've never had any bubble algae, so I don't know what water conditions it likes. Try to find out if it likes high/low current and give it the opposite. It works for cyano.....maybe it'll work for bubble algae - who knows.

Archived