Top Shelf Aquatics

TIPS ON ACROPORA KEEPING

DitchPlains

DitchPlains

After purchasing 7 sps frags from GARF, I acclimated, and added to my tank, 150watt 14k DE over 11g, and placed in good strong flow. Maxijet 1200 pumping in tank. Now my question is what is too much flow, the powerhead is not blasting right at the corals, but I noticed 2 or 3 of the corals, I have no polyp extension. Are they dead if they don't show polyps within a 24-48 hr period? I know acros can be super sensitive. My water is impeccable, I change 4 qts a day with a 6 stage ro/di unit. Having only had one other acro in my tanks, i want to get some feedback on acclimation turn around for polyp extension, and if I should reposition the corals if I have not seen any polyp extension by this evening. I am not sure of the scientific names, looks like some Tortugas, some Bali Slimers, unsure of others, very coloful however. Thanks again guys. :D

DitchPlains

they basically said to give it couple of days and that some of the acros feed at night, not during lights on. Will be checking for the next fews days, again very helpful guys. love that place.

in the wild most sps keep their polyps closed until night fall. if the coral isn't bleaching out, always assume that it's doing alright. :D try feeding dt's oyster eggs too. my sps loves those things!

There are three most important things when it comes to keeping acros.

1. Water quality. - SPS actually favors low nutrient water, so try not to feed the tank too much. Also I have never fed my acros and they are doing great. Also Skimmer would be a definate plus when it comes to sps tanks. Also keep Calcium and alk in check. As with lots of things in reefing, its important to have enough calcium and alk but its equally important to keep things stable. So do everything slowly.

2. Lights - Seems it should be fine with your lights.

3. Flow - To sum it up, its hard to have too much flow for acro. For example, before flow is too strong for acros, flow will probably blow your sand 24/7 or knock things over and create chaos in the tank. So make sure you have enough flow in your tank.

As for polyp extension during day time, its never a sign of acro dyeing or not. Sure, if you don't get any for extended period of time, or even night time, and start to see bleaching or tissue loss, then you should be worried, but I have acros where it took good month before showing polyp extension during day time.

Just to add to that....it took a solid 10 days for my acros to show the same amount of extension (and in some cases any at all)as they had before, after I removed the clown goby that was annoying them.

Cheers,

Fred

It can sometimes take a really long time before an acro will extend its polyps. I've had one that took 2 months. But normally new additions to my tank extend their polyps within 2 weeks.

It also depends on the type of SPS. My M. Digitata, and Millepora's polyps are always out. My tri-color, and Oregon Blue Tort have tiny polyps just on the very ends, so they are a little harder to see. What types of SPS did you get?

Bob

Originally posted by bobioden

It also depends on the type of SPS. My M. Digitata, and Millepora's polyps are always out. My tri-color, and Oregon Blue Tort have tiny polyps just on the very ends, so they are a little harder to see. What types of SPS did you get?

Bob

I think it all depends on tank conditions and what the frag is wanting to do at any given moment. My tri-color and blue torts have huge polyp extension!

All my sps have had good polyp extension within hours of being in the tank. It can take time though. As long as the tissue is still there, they should adjust.

Originally posted by oogie

I think it all depends on tank conditions and what the frag is wanting to do at any given moment.  My tri-color and blue torts have huge polyp extension!

I ageee, but the polyps on the tricolor or tort are a much smaller polyp then say a Millepora.

Bob

Tomaso_Pantera

Hmm.... I think we are forgetting the cardinal rule when aclimating acroporas and most sps ( disregaurding Digitatas).

Always keep them in indirect lighting for the first week especialy if you have halides. Then move them out into direct lighting for another week. Then place them where they get good flow and plenty of light dependant on how high your light source is.

This is bullet proof.

If you do not do this, more times than not the coal will look great for a month or so. Then it will start to lose polyp extension, color, and die off from the bottom up.

Happend to me three times with nice expensive frags until a gentle,an that raises HUGE sps colonies told me of his method. It has NEVER fail me or any one I have told to try it.

Current is crucial with all sps but especialy Acropora sp.

You want a pretty strong alternating current hitting it.

My two newest frags(A. nana and A. tenius) have been on my sand bed about 12" below my 250w de halide(20kk bulb) since they hit the water in my tank. It all depends on what conditions they were in before you got them.

If they were 12" below a 400w 10kk bulb, then you'd have no problem putting them anywhere in your tank(maybe even worry about them not getting enough light). If they were under VHO's or PC's, then I would definately put them in a less intense area of the tank.

This is really intresting, I just bought my first Acro colony. It is about the size of a baseball. Its a light purple and is already showing some polyp extention. I have some horrible pictures in my thread. But I hope to get some good ones soon.

Archived