ReefCleaners.org

New 10g tank.

kenicheema

My 10g tank has been sitting around for about 3 months now. I currently have about 1.5" of LS some LR. Also a percula clown and a blue damsel. I am using a Penguin 300 filter with biowheel.

My questions are:

-Do I need a power head with such small tank?

-I am currenly using a 50/50 floresent bulb from HomeDepot. I want to add some corals to the tank, what kind of lighting will be best? Can I just use compact florescent bulb ?

of first off you will need more LR and LS for a place to put corals and also for bio filteration. also damsels can be pretty mean so i would replace that maybe a goby or another clown. a powerhead will help but you can tell if you need one by looking at your sand if its being moved around you dont need one. as for the lighting if you have a aga 10 gallon tank then its gonna have a 15 watt bulb i would go with 2 13W pc's from pet supply liquidator with a 65-67k and antinic bulb but if you wanna go with cf get a custom hood and a 24in hadrware store fixture with 2-20w bulbs then i would get

2-20k bulbs

hope i helped

First off, I would recomend a PH. Most corals require some kind of water movement. Also CSL makes 32w PC's that would be great for your tank. 2x32w would be a pretty good setup. As jovis said damsels can be fiesty so you should probably look into something else if you want two fish, but then again this is just a general rule that has exceptions. You definitely need to ditch the biowheel, they can turn out to be real nitrate factories. How much LR do you actually have? Also what kind of corals are you thinking about keeping? The type of corals will determine how much light and how much current you will need. HTH

Archived