ReefCleaners.org

Algae ID Please, I promise its not to common.

B16A2NR

This crap is starting to multiply in my tank. Heres some info I came up about it: about 2mm in diameter, red in colorlooks like flakes, can be blown off rocks with a turkey baster, grows over zoos forcing them to close up, doesn't seem to move like an animal, doesn't seem to spread as much as it seems to appear on new rocks.

post-24-1112148845.jpg

jenniebutterfly

those really do look like flatworms, do a fresh water dip, what can it hurt? i had some on zoos, and it moved over them and they would close, did a fw dip and now they are all gone :)

The red stuff looks like red cyano. I've been battling it for 2 months, I almost beat it but I just noticed a new little patch last week.

Crap I have Acoel flatworms. They don't damage corals but they do shade them by covering them. It looks like they don't have any readily available natural preditors from what I read. And they are photosynthetic, and feed off copapods. It is said that once they depleat the nutrient in the tank that they are feeding off they die. Lets find out how long this takes. Does any one know a Acoel preditor I can add to the tank?

OK After more reading I found that Chelidonura varians Nudibranchs eat them like candy. So now I must find one of these awsome looking Nudis to take care of the problem.

definately take care of them!

One of my friends had them and they multiply like crazy. Once they get to the level they did in his tank... major work was required.

BKtomodachi

Good luck with the nudis, lol! You'll never find them without paying ungodly amounts for them. Try Flatworm Exit by Salifert... I'll do it if you do it! hehe

I've been battling these guys for a while, and have found that six-lines will eat them and that nutrient control really slows them.

I don't have enough room for another fish in my 3.5 gallon. I have really good access to about 20 different fish stores and warehouses. I don't think it will be to much of a problem.

Archived