Coral Vue Hydros

installing csl 32w retro

FCLymond

So I am about to install the csl smartlite retro (32w) in the lighting strip that comes with the AGA 7g minibow. The instructions that come with the kit are not nearly detailed enough to compensate for my complete lack of electrical skills -- anyone who's done this (I know there are many) up for a step-by-step description of how to replace it?

Thanks...:*(

ok, I just did this (and asked some questions while doing it) so I'll try to help.

How far have you gotten so far? I'm assuming you at least got the other factory light out of the hood.

As far as the wiring goes, green goes to green, and red goes to red. The black and white wires connect to the remaining 2 black wires. It doesn't matter with those which one they are paired up with. Twist the uncovered portion of the wires around each other and screw the wire nuts on tight. I covered my wire nuts with electrical tape for my own piece of mind. Search the board and you will see that some people use saran wrap, and some do nothing.

Fixing teh reflector to the hood was the tricky part for me. I'm sure everyone does it different here, and it depends on how creative you want to be. If I had a drill, I would have drilled holes in the reflector to match the existing threaded holes of the canopy. I think the holes could be matched up using the portion of the canaopy you removed. I purchased some plastic plugs (I consider them anchors), screwed in the screws through the holes in the CSL reflector, and then glued the bottom of the anchors to the inside of the canopy. Then I realized that not all of them were touching (naturally), so I secured the reflector with some of the same anchors by gluing them to the inside of the canopy horizontally such that they are "supporting" the weight of the reflector/lighting. Not the best wa of going about it, but it seemed to make sense at the time...lol.

Let me know if you need some more help and I'll try to offer advice. Mine has been installed 2 weeks now, and I haven't burned the house down yet (knock on wood).

Mark

red with red, black with black, yellow with yellow, green with green

red and black (at least in a computer) are 5v

yellow and green are 12v

lol

WOW IM BORED

I did it and I'm a complete moron so you should be able to handle it. Of course I ended up getting a mh fixture a month or two later.

Come to think of it, I could probably unload the old csl fixture if someone wants it.

Thanks for your help, guys. I installed the new lights last night -- you were right, it was very easy.

The hardest part was mounting the reflector on the AGA hood...

:) FCL

Archived