Cultivated Reef

Tap Water Filter

BK1

I have been using The Aquatic Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter (DI) for my salt water mix. Would this be adequate to remove all impurities or would I also need a RO unit. The reason I'm asking if a RO unit is needed is because I only have a 10g system that uses the Tap Water Filter and I don't want to buy a RO unit if it is not necessary.

they work fine, but are slllooooooooooowwwwwwww

In the long run depending on howmuch water you use, an RODI is more economical (depending on your tap water) as the AP tap purifier will last between 50 -110 gal, and an rodi with a TFC membraine will do a 1000 gal no prob. At roughly 25.00 a pop for ion refills on the tap purifier, the RO is way cheeper.

HTH.

Been There Done That..... Iuse Wyayayayayayyyy to much water NOT to have a RODI.

the TWF is crap imo. i've used it and traced back problems to it. the 1st thing that you should notice (which i failed to X) ) is that it's not potable water. if you can't drink it, then it sure as heck shouldn't be used for your reef imo.

depending on your volume and frequency; for nanos, you can just use distilled water from common cooler bottles. in the very looong run it may be more expensive but when you take into account the membranes, ion beds, water quality, maintenance, and time factors i think the distilled option is better. jmo

if you're doing massive w/c's in frequency or amounts like dave does then definitely go ro/di. ro/di is the bulk quantity-way to go if you w/c a lot or just regularly.

Then again...I can't drink saltwater either, Tinyreef...but my clowns seem to enjoy it ;-).

Does anyone know *why* TWF water is not drinkable? I always thought that warning was just to cover their asses.

saltwater's goood! zesty! full of calcium! :x

i always thought it was to cover their asses too but 1) that doesn't show great confidence in their product and 2) i always got a couple of the resin beads get thru the prefilters. :x

never noticed the non-potable warning but here's my guess at why. deionized water should have very little dissolved solutes, aka low osmolarity. drinking too much of a low osmolarity (hypo-osmotic) solution can via osmosis cause this "pure" water to enter cells, swell the cells and eventually, potentially burst cells. same reason its not good to drink RO water all the time. but if you're also eating or drinking other higher osmolarity solutions (copyright coke or tang) it shouldn't be a problem. that doesn't explain the lousy taste-but maybe that's just my good ol' minneapolis river water.

Archived