Innovative Marine Aquariums

Acan Help..

EnFuego

I just got a few acan lord. frags, but one of them isn't looking so hot right now. When I put it into my tank, it was about a 1/2 polyp. Now it seems to be only about 1/4 covered in flesh. The other acan lord. frag is doing great, it had feeder tentacles out within 20 minutes of being in the tank, and eats every night. They are right next to each other in the tank, so I can't figure out why one is good and the other isn't. Should I move the injured one to an area of more flow/less flow? Less light? Any help is appreciated. I know these are pretty hardy corals, but for some reason this one isn't looking great.

Thanks,

-Mark

well, I tried playing it somes tunes on my guitar tonight (one of the lesser known remedies for corals that are on the verge of death)...the setlist went as follows:

-"Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton

-"Tiny Dancer" by Elton John

-"Warehouse" by Dave Matthews Band

-"The General" by Dispatch

-"More than Words" by Extreme

-"Tripping Billies" by Dave Matthews Band straight into...

-"Grey Street" also by Dave Matthews Band

-"Gravedigger" by Dave Matthews Band

----------

ENCORE:

-"The Stone" by Dave Matthews Band

-"Classical Gas" by Mason Williams

I didn't think that the last song to play should be gravedigger, so I had to come back for an encore and finish out strong. I will keep everybody updated on how this remedy is working. I'm not going to lie to you guys, as of right now, I've got some pretty high expectations for the effects that guitar playing will have on my corals.

Fuego: acans are normally very resilient corals... but "sometimes" during fragging and shipping they will experience stress that will lead to poor health as yours seems to be.

FWIW, i'll recommend you to put it in an area of low flow just in case it seems to be losing tissue, you want to place it towards the bottom of the tank... not in shade, but maybe some indirect lighting so that it isn't getting blasted by your lighting, btw: what lighting do you have? on another note... i've found that half polyps are sometimes harder to deal with. next time you make a purchase on lords, i'd recommend you to purchase frags that are at least 3-4 polyps large ... this way you are certain to get "full-polyps" and areas that aren't freshly fragged. good luck, show us a pic or two so we can get a visual idea of what's going on

*EDIT: if you ever see your frag with feeders, it's a GOOD sign. feed it when you have the chance, normally it will take 2-3 weeks for it to recover, good luck! B)

thanks uchiha, I have it on the bottom of that tank, and moved it to an area of less flow the night of the first post. I moved it into more of a shady area too, but I might move it so that it gets a little more light. I have a 250 watt MH on my tank. The tank is a 16"x16"x16" cube and the light is probably a little over 12" over the tank. Yeah, next time I will definately be buying at least a 3 polyp frag so this doesn't happen again. I'll update on here if anything changes, and I will try to get some pictures soon if possible. Thanks again.

-Mark

Funky_Fish14

Is it possible that the other frag attacked it? Keep them AT LEAST 6" apart. Actually, send it to me, I'll make it better! :P

Chris

Do acans Lords attack each other?, i have 5 all within 1-2" of each other, and have had no problem. but i do keep the acan echinata, about 4" away from the lords.

-Mike:)

Funky_Fish14

Oooo, lol thanks for clearing that up tigah, I just remember you posting about some acans attacking each other, but you have so darn many I didnt remember which ones.

LMAO ReefMonkey, Yeah, though RPS. LOL.

Chris

Archived