Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yer opinion

Keng Yew, Leong

imo you shouldn't unless you're already raising them in a larger reef tank (>70g) elsewhere. the light is woefully under capacity for sps. zoanthids are fine in that system or most softies.

you'd need a 70w mh for the sps and perfect conditions imo. lunchbucket or nr53 should be able to help you out on the sps. deezreef did them under pc's (very well i may add ;) ) so the mh isn't a requirement, just a recommendation.

edit: deez 'did' them under pc's, he's now under 150w mh. but the old tank was beautiful nevertheless.

36w pc white/actinic blue would work fine for sps in a tank that size (they were working on my 7 gallon). Your problem will be a very high water temp which will require either a bunch of fans or a chiller of some sort.

I would advise agains the sps. they are expensive, as are the lights, and they are very tough to keep, imo.

keng, thats about 2.25watts per gallon. In my opinion that is not enough light for anything other then fish only tank. i would suggest you try something from 4-5 watts at least if you are thinking about keeping corals of any sort. also, with such a small tank the fluctation in temperature from a high capacity light would be detrimental. in my opinion you would need a serious up grade on your system in order to keep the kind of corals you have indicated. not trying to make it sound terrible about what you are doing, but good luck. keep us updated. =)

also another note, if your gona keep brains with the light you already have i would put it up as close to the light as possible.

oh now i see. totally miss that second one. um..then i guess with that its enough. Dont know if you will have heat problems but i guess the light good to keep pretty much anything that is low light or moderate light corals. i know for sure that isnt enough for any kind of sps corals. but you can give it a try. and just to make sure is ur tank a 4.5gallon or a 4 gallon? i been reading some of the post and your spec on your tank seem to differ each time. But yeah...give it a try. you never know what wonders may come =)

• 4 weeks later...

I have about that same ratio in my 10 gallon 5 watts a gallon and i have an SPS frag but it seems to be only surviving not thriving. I wouldn't recommend them

Archived