ReefCleaners.org

Nano & Evaporation

PFB

I am curious about all the posts about water evaporation from small nanos.

I have a 3gal. Eclipse with a square, glass cover – there is lots of open areas on the sides and back but I don’t have much of an evaporation problem at all.

Could it be that I don’t have enough water surface disturbance – I have just a mini PH at this point?

Also, just a JBJ 13 watt PC that is resting directly on top of the glass.

Water temp is 82*, room temp is around 70* to as high as 80*. (Its been a nice cool fall in Atlanta so far) IO SG 1.024.

I have been happy not having to top off my water every day, but should I be worried that the tank is not getting enough Ox or CO exchange?

harbingerofthefish

My tank was like yours too, little if any evaporation. My glass hood was probally 95% over the tank and had good surface agitation. Then I hacked off a chunk of the hood and threw on a HOB filter (I got for free so why not). Now I have to add a cup or so top-off every 2 days or so. So after babbaling I'll give you the answer I got a couple of months back: "If you have a good surface agitation, than you should be having good gas exchange" (i just paraphrased that)

Wow, thats a lot of water loss for a couple of days.

I travel a lot and am out of town for 3 to 4 days, so I am going to leave alone for now and keep an eye on things as I add critters. (I can just imagine asking my wife to top off the tank.......)

Thanks for info.

PFB,

If you look around alot of people are using auto top off systems that are either DIY or fairly cheap (I wouldn't ask my wife to top off my system either that is why I dont travel =) )

Archived