Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dwarf Flame Angel tank

uscreef

I want to do a tank with a flame angel as its centerpiece, but I think that fish only tanks are pretty boring... what's the min size I could do and accomodate it?  From what I've read they're pretty reef safe, though they may nip some corals and grow ~3" long which means ~15-20 gal right?  I'm just torn on that or a 7 gal reef with a perc b/c it takes up less space and initial costs are less....

if you want a flame angle i say do at least a 30 but that's just my opinion. it could prolly work in a 20L but you can have no other fish in there and you must keep your water quality in pristine condition.

yes a 20 gal would be optimal for a flame angel

you could still put a pair of occis or perks(clowns) with it

just put the clowns in first

and be sure the angel is young one(small)

they should get along fine

as to eating corals some do and some dont

good luck

I am glad that I scrolled back a few days on a lark. I completely disagree with Dawn on this one. It is a terrible idea. Like you I considered the idea for my 40 and am still questioning that amount of room for its overall well being. I put the minimum zone over 30 for sure but am not sure if it should start at 40 or at 55.

Sure, you can find plenty of people that have done it. That does not mean it is a smart idea at all though. I have told a few "I told you so" more than once for trying this. If you insist on a Centropyge in your 20 then the ONLY sensible choice is the C. argi, a far less "spectacular" choice than the flame. Also it will be best to keep it alone. the smaller the tank the meaner they are. I'm talking terrorize damsels mean!  -- And Chris, Please take that d*mn centropyge section out of your "nano safe fishes" they aren't!

I agree on at least 30 gallons.  IMO, the best way to determine what size tank a fish needs is to watch one's behavior in a LARGE tank, say 100+ gallons.  Fish like angels and tangs will be taking advantage of the space, swimming laps around the tank, while more nano-compatible fish like clowns will sort of hang in one area, or just mosy around.  They won't miss the space as much as a more 'athletic' fish.

These guys are 3", but they SWIM. IMO, and adult needs for sure around a 30, I'd be more comfortable if it had at least 50g, but around 30 or 40 would suffice. I wouldn't recommend it in a 20g, tall or long. Just too small.

Archived