SaltCritters.com

Help with 25 gallon cube

solitaryensis

solitaryensis

Hey guys,

im getting ready to start a 25 gallon nano and wanted some suggestions from you pros. I havent been able to find a HOB skimmer that fits my budget so im thinking about using a HOB filter like a whisper or aquaclear. I plan on having only a couple of small fish and zoo's and ricordia's so my bioload will be fairly low. Do you think this is enough filtration. And are you guys just using the sponge these days or nothing at all. Im also having a quandry about lighting. The tank is only 18 inches wide so as far as compacts are concerned i can only fit a 36 watt bulb. Once again i havent found any good deals. Well i have but im always too late (email me if youve got a set for sale) Any other suggestions on lighting? I have a 175 bulb and pendant that i can go get a ballast for but im not sure i want to deal with the evaporation if i can get away with using some pc's. Let me know what you guys think and please make some suggestions about my setup.

Thanks

I personally like a skimmer, but a tank w/o one would do ok too. The HOB filter can be used for circulation, just use lr and ls for filtration. Run the HOB filter empty, and you can periodically run carbon if you like. I like how the mH sounds, although a couple 36w pc's side by side would work I would think.

you could do 2 96w Quad PC's, or 4 36w'ers, but it's going to be cheaper in the long run to do mh as replacing a bunch of PC's is expensive and they wear out faster. A 175w MH 8"-12" above the water shouldn't be too bad evaporation and the coral possibilities would be nearly endless.

Its a low profile HOB skimmer 2 inches thick and only about 90 bucks if you order online at Dr. Foster or pet solutions. Perfect for that size tank. Even a handy media container in it for your algone and stuff.

I have a 16 inch cube which is smaller than yours and i run a 175

mh with vented shade but i don't even need a fan my waters

never been over 81 even in the summer,but i do lose water.

How bout a skilter there like 30 bucks (hehe).

Archived