Coral Vue Hydros

gotta love the high school LFS employees

FamousGuy

Went to get a calcium test kit today

me: I need a calcium test kit

lfs: huh? they dont make such a thing

me: uh.....

lfs: What do you think you need one for?

me: lps skeletal/coralline growth and to make sure i dont overdose b-ionic

lfs: (rolls eyes) You cant overdose, just dump half a cup in every now and then

(no offense to high school people, i'm not much older)

Another teenage LFS employee tale...

Me: Hi, I'm looking for a decent test kit, what brand would you reccomend?

Him: Hagen tests are the best on the market.

Me: It says it's... for freshwater use.

Him:Oh, yeah, that was a big problem with Hagen's packaging. They meant to type freshwater & saltwater use, but made a spelling error.

Me: I see...

At this point, I found someone a little older and they directed me to the Salifert stuff :happy:

I heard a fish store employee tell a customer to get rid of ich they need to decrease the temp in the tank with a cold water change, try to aim for 10 to 15 degree drop for a day, then slowly raise it again....... btw, the fish in question were NOT cory's they were african cichlids.

This same lfs sold me a leopard pleco, I got it home and it was dead in the bag, I called them, and they said bring it back tomorrow, so I made the 30 minute drive and got another, it died while Iwas acclimating it to my tank, I called them again and was told to bring it in for exchange.... The third time, I got the pleco and got it home, went through acclimation and it survived, until the next morning when I found it dead in the bottom of the HOSPITAL Tank.... I called the store and the employee says, "yeah those things are ripe with disease, oh well bring it back we will give ya another"... hello?? Needless to say, I've not been back there.

HAHAH AH AHAHAHAH ! sad but true....

I just say a great 2 lines from the movie "Clerks"....

the scene outside the Convienent store when Randal is opening the video store and the dude cant find his keys.....

"No time for Love... Dr. Jones.."

and the old dudes reply.......

:woot:

dont get it? ??? rent the movie.

PS: try asking this...

Do I have to feed my rabbit fish lieiutieuce and carroties? :D

Do you have any Feeder Cats ? (say it fast so it sounds like rats)

then say you have a 12 foot Burhm python..... :D

DO you have any Cleaner wrasse? no ? how about dirty wasse?

BETTER CHECK YER DRAWERS ! then throw a stink bomb in the front hallway when ya leave..... Ammonium Sulfide is funny ###### ! :D sit and watch the peoples faces as they walk in.... :D

I my self am a high school student that works at my LFS. I understand what your talking about. I think you should have to take a class before being able to work in the salt dept. I was hired because I know alot about reefs and the things that live in them. But most LFS owners aren't as lucky as my boss. They usually get a puppy and kitty cat and reptile kid that knows alittle about fresh water and asks the boss for help when it come to a question about salties. Or they try to act like they know exactly what they are talking about since they have many years experience:D Please forgive them they know not what diots they sound like when the experienced reefer strikes up a conversation about what would be better a frogspawn or a hammer and the child imagines lilly pads and the sears hardware dept.

There are way to many uneducated fish store employees and owners for that matter too. I, having wroked at stores for 10 years, have trained a larger amount of new employess and most just think it's an easy job that they can BS their way through.

The low pay, and lack of benifits, is one reason why I left and probably why lots of other hobbiests aren't working at stores too. It's a hard market to find people willing to get payed very little for the exchange of their knowledge...

Cameron

Me: I'm bringing this rainbow fish back because it has a huge anchorworm.

WetHo Employee: OK, do you want a refund or exchange?

Me: Well, you have more fish in that tank with anchorworms, so I think I'll take a refund.

WetHo Emp: OK.

Me: (getting irritated that she doesn't seem to understand what introducing anchorworms into my tank would mean) Umm... so you might want to put a quarantine sticker on that tank or something.

WetHo Emp: ... blank look... hands me refund slip.

I came backa few days later... still anchorworms and no quarantine sign.

This WetHo store is very close to my place, and I want to get a part-time job next semester. They desperately need help with their salts (green slime, lateral line disease, marine ich galore). Will I apply there? Hell no. It's a stressful job, and the second you turn your back, someone's selling someone an Oscar for their reeftank. There's a reason why the more knowledgable people move on in their careers, whether they want to or not.

Archived