Cultivated Reef

Iceprobe chiller in stock Nano Cube (no drilling)

artarmon42

Nice :) Nexfan is pretty close to where I live. My cube just came in about an hour ago. Turns out it's the one with the new moon lights. It's kinda nice that it has external ballast too, I'm sure that keeps the heat down. I just finaly finished putting the stand together, I guess I'll go rinse it out and get it filled :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sean: That'll never fit inside the hood :D

Chronicles:

Moonlights? Is that the 24DX?

That heatsink/fan that I bought (for the Socket 940)... What do you think the heat dissipation power of that is (how many watts of heat does that processor throw out)? I'm just wondering if I should buy a more powerful Peltier, before I use that Arctic adhesive to stick the Peltier to it for ever (if I guess wrong, I'm going to have to buy a whole new heatsink/fan :*( ).

Nope it's the 12DX, has 2 moonlights, I really like it so far. Kinda cloudy yet, but it's comming up to temp and the new mini606 is pumping strong. I really like the look on the stand. Some people said the stand was junk, but mine went together very strongly and just looks great. It's also black, unlike the greyish ones I've seen. Matches the cube perfectly with the colors. They were backordered until the day I ordered, so maybe it's different?

Socket 940 is for Opteron CPUs and some AMD 64bit FX series CPUs. Basicly the fastest out there, they left socket 940 for 939, I won't get into why, but basicly it's the same. I believe it's 89-92w for those chips. A good way to NOT ruin your sink is find some thermal tape. It won't cool as well as the paste but you can remove it anytime you want.

What's the wattage on the TEC that comes with the iceprobe? 51w should cool everything just fine. Chris says in his post he's only using his at 18w and it's working just fine. Like I said from the very beginning with you, your cooler idea just wasn't up to it. I'd stick with the TEC you have, when cooled right, it will more then do it's job.

Thermal tape link: $2 for a 1x6" strip

http://www.bestbyteinc.com/products.asp?dept=9

• 2 weeks later...

Nexfan order came in yesterday.

I decided to use the Alumina Adhesive to connect everything, because I didn't want to drill the heatsink.

In my tests, that thing rocked (0.2 reduction in 2 minutes)!

But when it came time to stick it in the back chamber, the damn thing wouldn't fit :o

The heatink/fan combo is 23mm (or roughly 1 inch) high, which in hindsight is too high. Because I opted for the 70mm size, it had to stick out above the display wall of the tank. Consequently, the clearance from the top of that wall to the splashguard is only ~ half an inch.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to test it's true effectiveness against the 70W MH with a closed hood/flap :(

Because I used the adhesive, the 3 components (heatsink, peltier, probe) are now all bonded together. Don't think I'll be able to pry things apart to test new theories.

On top of that, I haven't found a heatsink/fan combo that is half an inch high... so I'm not sure if there is an alternative anyway.

It's called a dremmel :), cut that sucker up till it fits. If you have to epoxy the fan onto the sink. Sure you'll lose surface area, but it'll be much better then your other one. You can also dremmel the corners off the fan, for added space.

P.S. This is why I told you to use the $2 thermal tape :*(

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update and close this thread off...

I've decided to stop pursuuing this project, as the original goal (minimize temp flunctuations of a 70MH in a stock Nano Cube to 2 degrees in a 24 hour period) as been met by another means.

Ironically, that (:rolleyes:

That mod is explained here

stoney waters

People shouldnt give up on iceprobes. There are simpler ways to do it. I put one in my back glass. I used a dremel and it took me less than an hour. It works wonderful.

Archived