Innovative Marine Aquariums

Greenish crab w/ banded legs

drparker

I found this HH in a LR, tanks been running for only 5 days. I can't tell if it's "hairy" or if the claw is Sharp or blunt.

Does anybody know what type he is and is he reef safe?

1st pic for size is next to fork, 2nd pic is closer and shows the claw as best I could get.

crab1.jpg

crab2.jpg

Thanks,

Drew

fixed link

I let him out of isolation and back into general population tonight. Not to worry I'm a steak person so he's safe.

Thanks for the info I'll research those.

Drew

Definitely NOT a Sally lightfoot. Looks to me like a common sand crab, possibly a mithrax. I had one in a little nano, and he never caused any problems that I was aware of. He even stayed in the same little two-square-inch area all the time, at least every time I saw him. Just keep an eye on him, like any questionable critter, to make sure he doesn't cause trouble.

Sally light foot is a flat bodied, and long legged type crab. A Mintrax crab is an emerald crab. I think the crab you have is is a emerald crab like Caesar777 said. Based on it's claws, it looks exactly like an emerald crabs rounded pinchers.

I hope you identify the guy, that is part of the fun, but don't take my word for what I identified it as drparker, please do some research using the google or your search engine of choice, and look under "emerald crab" or "mintrax" crab, I think you will find your answer there.

Archived