ReefCleaners.org

My cleaner shrimp didnt even live for 1 hr!

nsnspanky

I just bought a cleaner shrimp to put into my tank.. and when i put it in it died in about 45 min? Is tehre something wrong with my tank? I'm a newbie with saltwater fish.. So any help will be greatly appreciated!

The same thing happened to me a few months ago. I think it may have been stress but i really have no idea. How long did you acclimate it for?

I dont know what the parameter is b/c when i was going to buy the kit my friend at the LFS said " Dont worry about it just do regular water changes since its only 10 gal tank". But i've had the tank for a while. I have 2 camel shrimps in it that is doing fine.

When i brought it back i left it in the tank for about 20 min.

how much live rock do you have? Whats your temperature? Whats your gravity?

If you cant answer those three right now please tank everything back before it dies..

CRAVIN CRITTERS

HATE TO FLAME YOU BUT YOU ARE STUPID FOR NOT DOING YOUR RESEARCH. dO YOU EVEN HAVE LIVE ROCK AND IF SO HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN IN YOUR TANK. YOU ARNT EVEN ACLIMATING IT RIGHT. IVE BEEN RESEARCHING FOR 6 MONTHS AND IM JUST NOW GETTING MY LIVE ROCK. AND ANOTHER BIGGIE NEVER TRUST THE PEOPLE AT YOUR LOCAL FISH STORE EVEN IF THERE YOUR FRIEND UNLESS THEY HAVE HAD A SUCCESFUL NANO REEF.

newbiecarlz

settle cravin.. theres nothing about having no LR in this thread

spanky, shimp are really sensitive to changes in water parameters, im guessing you might not have acclimated him well enough.

next time make sure you acclimate by dripping small amounts of your tank water over an hour or so and please do get a test kit and test your paramaters before you add anything else, you really do need it.

Originally posted by CRAVIN CRITTERS

Im not mad at him about live rock Im mad at him because he obviously hasnt done his research.

Thanks for the blunt remark. As to your questions my tank has been up and running for about 4 months, I have about 15-18lbs LR, I do weekly water changes that i get from the LFS, the LFS i go to is pretty well known in Houston, actually anyone that has a SW tank knows this store. Temp is a constant 79-80 degrees, everything else is is living and has been living since I put things into the tank. Not to jinx myself but i really didnt have anything die in my tank except this cleaner shrimp.

And I did AC"C"LIMATE for about 45min.

I had this happen a few months ago and I acclimated for three hours. Come to find out my dkh was around 6 and the lfs water was around 11. its hard for a shrimp which is sensitive to changes adjust to that even in three hours.

my recomendation would be to check your dkh I have to do b-ionic sups to get it up to b/w 8 and 9

hope this helps

brent

K. the magical reason is that you really should drip acclimate all invertibrates, especially shrimp. Salinity shock is usually the culprit. But you'll never know because you don't need to test for silly things like toxins in your water that kill things or how much salt is actually in your salt water. ;) A great friend. If anything, you have to test more for smaller tanks because they don't have as much water and a small change affects the entire system. :P

Originally posted by Kogut

K. the magical reason is that you really should drip acclimate all invertibrates, especially shrimp. Salinity shock is usually the culprit. But you'll never know because you don't need to test for silly things like toxins in your water that kill things or how much salt is actually in your salt water. ;) A great friend. If anything, you have to test more for smaller tanks because they don't have as much water and a small change affects the entire system. :P

Thanks for the info. And I called my friend and he is giving me a new one. I felt kind of bad, b/c he charged me $12 dollars for the shrimps and 2 yellow looking fish (damsel i believe). But I guess I got lucky. Free shrimp! Just a couple more and I can have one expensive shrimp cocktail!!!!
Originally posted by CRAVIN CRITTERS

HATE TO FLAME YOU BUT YOU ARE STUPID FOR NOT DOING YOUR RESEARCH. dO YOU EVEN HAVE LIVE ROCK AND IF SO HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN IN YOUR TANK. YOU ARNT EVEN ACLIMATING IT RIGHT. IVE BEEN RESEARCHING FOR 6 MONTHS AND IM JUST NOW GETTING MY LIVE ROCK. AND ANOTHER BIGGIE NEVER TRUST THE PEOPLE AT YOUR LOCAL FISH STORE EVEN IF THERE YOUR FRIEND UNLESS THEY HAVE HAD A SUCCESFUL NANO REEF.

you're an idiot and stop using caps.

Originally posted by nsnspanky

I just bought a cleaner shrimp to put into my tank.. and when i put it in it died in about 45 min?  Is tehre something wrong with my tank? I'm a newbie with saltwater fish.. So any help will be greatly appreciated!

Besides what everyone else has stated in this thread, I've been told that it is possible to light shock a shrimp when you put him in. Therefore it's recommended that you turn off the light after you put in a shrimp.

However, I do question your decision to add a third shrimp to a 10 gallon tank. Shrimp in general have canibalistic tendencies and will wait till an individual molts and then make a meal out of him. On a tank that size, 2 is plenty. 3 is definitely a crowd.

PS: There's a chance that your camelbacks will pick on corals. This maybe a non-issue if you weren't planning on keeping any.

Archived