Coral Vue Hydros

fan

JPF

I bought a 4"  fan from radio shack to cool my tank.  It pushed about 65 cfm.  The noise it made was irritating.  Not loud, but high frequency.  After 30 minutes I had a headache.  I would like a small fan that is more ear friendly.  If you suggest a computer fan can you tell me how to wire it.  Aren't computer fans 12 v?

Thanks for your time

I'm using a 3" power supply fan that I took out of an old computer. I'm running it with a adjustable voltage AC adapter. I just stripped the wires about 1/2" and twisted them together and taped them with electrical tape. I can vary the speed of the fan by changing the voltage on the adapter.

I use 2 Toyo fans. They're rated at 76 cfm and 30 dB according to the website. They are a bit noisy for my bedroom, but it's the kind of noise you get used to. Then when they shut off, it seems really quiet all of a sudden. Kind of like my skimmer pump (which is noisier with the venturi).

If you really want something quiet, I would try DC fans, and look for low dB ratings. I've never used a DC fan, but I hear they're quieter (most computer fans are pretty quiet, and they're all DC). You will need a power supply, as lizbeth said. It will convert the AC current into DC. The nice thing about DC is that you can adjust the fan speed if you have a variable power supply like lizbeth.

-Chris

i bought a 3 inch fan and power adaptor from Radio Shack,,,i used two screws to attach fan to back of hood on two sides so it blows in, travels around bow and comes out other side...7 gal bow with custom hood ( open in back )  after I had it hooked up and running I also had that high pitch sound..was very annoying...I loosened the screws holding fan to hood a little and backed fan off wood....sound is gone....maybe you have fan too tight and you are getting some sort of vibration sound?fan.jpg

I bought two dc fans off ebay for 50 cents a piece.  They are 4 inch computer fans.  I got an old cordless phone power cord, cut the end off and wired it to the fan.  The power cord is only 9.5 volts and the fans are rated at 12 volt.  So they are not spinning as fast as at twelve but they spin fast enough to lower my temp 3 or 4 degrees and plus they are super quiet. total cost was about $5.00 because of shipping.

I use 3x 1inch fans that run off a DC voltage adapter.

They too have a high frequency noise but it doesnt bother me as they are timed to come in with the lights, so it doesn effect me sleeping.  

The tank is 1.5m behind my bed...The Prizm skimmer ####ed me off the first week or so, but I got used to it now. :)

Anything for my corals :)

Archived