Pod Your Reef

caterpillar?

timsit

Spied this creature in my nano one night. It is at least 1" long but I've never seen it completely out of it's hole. It's about 1/8" diam. The markings are awesome! The red is metallic/iridescent and changes colors at different angles. It's hard to see but it also has green iridescent markings on it's head (I think that's his head). It only appears at night and retracts very quickly when the flashlight hits him. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything... it does pull tiny shells and debris back into it's hole. The pics aren't the best - it was very hard to focus in darkness... thought it might be a nudi at first but couldn't find anything even close, is it some type of worm? it really does resemble a caterpillar.

I'm a newb - not sure how to post more than 1 pic...

BKtomodachi

It looks like many types of sea cucumbers that I've seen. From its behavior, it sounds a lot like it as well.

Very intersting, and most likely not harmful. Cool!

I've done some research... I believe it's some type of Polychaete Annelid. It is segmented and has small feathery "legs" at each segment. It's also longer than I first thought - at least 2-3", still haven't seen him completely out... still not sure what it is either.

its some kind of eunicid worm should have five atenie on its head with one right in the center and opposing jaws that kind of resemble spider fangs do a search on reef central and you should find ithere is a link

that's it supernova! thanks for the link. it's def a eunicid. just a baby tho... turns out it could grow to 4-6 feet!?! can't wait

Archived