inTank Media Baskets

Nitrates from H.E.C.K.

IllusionaryDreams

IllusionaryDreams

My 10 galloon nano has been running since April and all the sudden a few weeks ago my nitrates spiked big time 120-160 range. I've done 25% water changes 4 times now, removed all fish to other tanks, and the few corals to my hospital tank. The only things left in there are a few pieces of lr, some sand, a few of the crew and a peppermint shirmp. I'm running a skilter 250, and a 201 powerhead. I've even added some plants to try and lower. But it just wont go down. any ideas?

sounds like your anaerobic bacteria crashed.

By chance is your sand oolitic? and did you stir it?

see if it is cemented in a few places. also, you may have met the holding capacity of your tank too fast, and the Nitrates finally cought up.

Worst case scenario....

Try vaccuming the (Live?) sand bed. There is a lot of crap in it

Im sure.

have you double-checked with another test kit? after a 50% w/c you should see a substantial decrease.

check your test kit against a fresh batch of mixed water. also check your source water.

the fact that your peppermint isn't dead makes me think your nitrates aren't really that high. besides the lack of feedstock ammonia and nitrites to feed the nitrate production (i.e. less livestock).

IllusionaryDreams

OK - First the kits ok cause I use it on all my tanks and thats the only one out of whack. My seahorse tank is testing at 10 ppm so I know the kits cool.

Second - The sand is CaribSea Special Sea Floor Grade. I've added some of their aqualive sand on top recently to see if the bacteria in that would help. I'm really at a loss here. I've eveen changed filter pads etc. The tanks practacilly torn apart as it is now (after removing most of the important things) so I'm about ready to trash it and start it all again.

Third - Same set up as my 5 gallon hospital tank only difference is size and the five doesn't have a filter only a powerhead. They were both started at the same time even.

Skilter = Nitrate factory ?

you havent answered my question as to the status of the sandbed.

how deep is it? did you cycle the LR in that tank initialy when set up? if you did, then perhaps all the crap has come back to bite ya in da arse.

EXACTLY why I reccomend cycling LR FIRST in an empty bottom tank and then adding the LS later.

Check for any dead orgasims like snails or worms in the LR.

Also I have heard skilter is a nitrate factory. Remove the filter completely, change the 50% water and then test for nitrates

after few hrs.

Archived