inTank Media Baskets

Nanocustoms Safety Advisory (platformwide)

nanocustoms.com

nanocustoms.com

It has come to my attention that some customers are running their systems without fans in early morning (T5 only) modes.

Please be advised that the fans must remain on AT ALL TIMES (hence the yellow sticker on the hood) during the light cycle and should remain on for at least 1 hour after the lights go off to prevent excess heat buildup.

Some customers have reported premature expiration of T5 units and I must make it known that I can no longer warrant systems that do not follow these procedures.

It should also be stated that the T5s are probably watt for watt the biggest source of heat in these canopies since they integrate the ballast and bulb into the fixture.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at chris@nanocustoms.com for more information.

Thank you,

Chris

Nanocustoms.com

Chris,

Do you advise the fans remain on all night, or think its ok to shut them off for most the night after an hour or so cooldown? I can't imagine they really use very much electricity. I think I read your answer somewhere, but can't find it now.

Toni

You will be ok as long as the fans come back on in the morning. One thing mikeguerrero warns people about is about your timers and if they have battery backup. In the event of a power failure make sure your timers are still correctly set to power the fans on before your main lights come on.

My personal preference with my MH DX and all my tanks is to keep the fans on at all times.

The biggest problem is those models and upgrades that run the T5s by themselves in the morning without fans, or fans that shut down prematurely for sunset cycle.

The best, but a cost prohibitive one is to get a Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper like larnie, and so many others. I will be offering reefkeepers on my site for 229 + shipping for nano-reef.com members.

Chris

I agree, I'll be getting one of those...for christmas. I have a huge tangle of extension cords and electric timers with the battery backups. It does the trick, but the reef keeper is something I will upgrade to. It will look cool mounted on my stand!

I've been running my fans all the time, I'll keep doing it anyway. Easier than digging around in there to change it ;)

Archived