Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Help identify this condition!

planetg

Starting another new nano.

I've gotten some live rocks from a friend.

However, after putting them into my new tank, I realised they have a little hairy layer. What's that? Is it ok? Or should I get a cleanup crew for that?

I've also noticed some dirt on the sandbed. Pls help to identify whether that's dirt, bacteria or algae? What's the recommended solution

Thanx for your help.

How long has the tank been running with the rock? How long are your lights on now? Until I know that I can only offer a few possibilities.

If you wave your hand over the "dirt" and it clouds up than it is likely to be detritus. Detritus is basically what is left after all the waste/food has been eaten by bacteria. Very coomon and every tank gets it. Good corculation and filters keep it from settling and becoming a eyesore.

It is also possible it is algae growth due to too light. New tanks have algae blooms that are very common and light will increase the algae. Usually no light or minimal hours (3-4) a day until cycled is a good idea to keep them blooms under control. It doesn't look bad though.

The "hair" could be algae. It's kinda hard to make a good assumption from the pic but it is likely harmless and when you get some critters (like snails and crabs) they will eat it.

It's difficult to gauge from the photos ... hopefully its just detritus. If it is, siphon it off ASAP.

Worst case, it might be the beginning of a hair algae outbreak.

Most people have an outbreak in the early days after setup so its by no means the end of the world. Make sure your source and topup water is RO, distilled, DI or RO/DI. Use a good quality salt like IO, Tropic Marin or Bio-Sea (that'll be a $10 discount, MDP ;) and get some clean up crew in there if the hair starts coming thick and fast.

Archived